Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Web sites by Childminders

(40 Posts)
kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 11:00:42

As my business is a little slow at the moment i.e No enquiries since the beginning of the year,
I am considering setting up a website. I was wondering if any childminders have had any enquiries as a direct result of parents visiting their websites and also the costs and time involved in setting up the website. I have virtually exhausted all other avenues of advertising and this is the only way I can think of for drumming up more trade.

Jxx

cod Mon 06-Jun-05 11:00:55

Message withdrawn

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 11:02:20

Cyikey cod, that was quick! Do you have a link for alibubbles?

cod Mon 06-Jun-05 11:03:18

Message withdrawn

feelingold Mon 06-Jun-05 11:55:27

We have a website as a group of local childminders. We publicised its launch in the local newspaper with a photo of us and as small write up and it contains basic details of us all individually (eg contact details, which schools we pick up from and as small statement about ourselves). This was done by one of the other cminders husbands as he works with computers so he knows what to do. We also meet up weekly for a coffee and play session.
Could you possibly get involved with a local group to do something similar then at least if you have to pay it could be split. Contact your development officer to see if she knows of any groups or if she would be willing to help set one up if you are interested.

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 11:59:42

Hi. I am a newly registered childminder and only got my certificate last week. I've already had 2 calls from people in my village who have seen my website and wanted to meet me. I haven't even put my posters up yet, just links on free sites directing people to my website.

It's not really fancy or anything as I did it myself and have never been on a course. I now plan on training to be a professional web designer on the side as I really enjoyed doing it. The cheapest quote I got for a basic 3-5 page site was £300. I only plan on charging £100.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting a site as some people are more likely to contact you if they have seen a lot of information first.

If you would like to have a look at my website, please click this

Good luck with everything!

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 12:00:54

Might help if I gave the the right link eh! link

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 12:18:58

Feelingold, I am already a member of our local childminding group - We don't have a website but do advertise in local papers etc, any enquiries are directed to the chairperson who gives out our numbers , the only problem with this is that I can't go very often as my daughter tends to be poorly frequently and also the baby that I look after is usually asleep at the time of the meetings and if she is woken up before she's ready to she is evil..so due to my infrequent visits I'm understandably way down on list as other minders tend to forget that I excist!!

RTKangaMummy Mon 06-Jun-05 12:19:42

pmsl @ your link

DEFFO BRILL site Aaron is georgeous

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 12:23:16

Glad you were amused and liked my site - not bad for first attempt eh!!

Yes Aaron is gorgeous - stinks at the mo tho as needs nappy change - best go do!

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 12:24:40

Hellybelly, have looked at your site it's brill!

Excuse this for being a thick question but where do you even start to do a website? Can navigate the internet but thats about it.

RTKangaMummy Mon 06-Jun-05 12:24:55

feelingold Mon 06-Jun-05 12:28:09

Kcemum- could you not suggest a meet-up occasionally at another time at a local play area or park so that you still see them sometimes.
Why not suggest the idea of a website to them and if it goes ahead let your local newspaper cover the story including the website address which you would all be on and then you would all get an equal bite at the cherry.
Good luck.

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 12:38:26

Feelingold,Thanks for your advice, I will suggest about the website and see how it goes. I do tend to see the other childminders at school etc but at the moment there seems to be more childminders than mindees and new minders setting up al the time, still I'm told the work is out there I just can't bl**dy find it!!

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 12:43:51

Well I've always been really into computers and ever since leaving my job when I was pregnant, I've wanted to get into web design. I decided to try and have a go myself using Microsoft Frontpage. Depends on how much patience you have with these things! I've learnt a lot from doing this and have just booked myself a course for proper web design!

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 12:52:08

Hellybelly, I know that you said that you had quotes for £300 but did the one that you produced cost anything?

alibubbles Mon 06-Jun-05 13:03:53

Message withdrawn

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 13:04:10

Not a fee as such because I did it myself. Just had to buy the software (Frontpage) and the Domain Name (Helen's Little Angels). I actually used some free web space I had and then used web and email forwarding to helenslittleangels as was more professional and easy for people to remember.

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 13:06:05

Hi Alibubbles

GREAT site!

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 13:15:20

Thanks Hellybelly, You've given me the incentive to try. Alibubbles..Great website, reassuring that you get enquiries from it.

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 13:18:04

Good for you! My contact details are on my site should you want any advice (don't always check this board).

If anyone else wants me to do one for them, let me know!

websitesforchildminders Mon 06-Jun-05 14:35:12

I design sites for childminders as a part-time hobby (am also a childminder myself).
This is a link to a site I built last month for somebody.
It's time consuming to build your own site so I charge only for my time in doing all the design and editing work, but if you have the patience to learn yourself by trial and error it's very rewarding and not difficult.

lunavix Mon 06-Jun-05 14:59:06

alibubbles - crikey! is that all from your website? Is there quite a lot of business for childminders in your area?

I've had four calls in about 4 or 5 months...

HellyBelly Mon 06-Jun-05 15:09:40

I know you were talking to alibubbles but just thought i'd contribute. For anyone wanting extra business who haven't got a website, there are several places you can advertise for free. For those of you with websites, some of them also let you put a free link. Here are some I have advertised on:

www.britinfo.net
www.yell.com
www.118118.com
www.childalert.co.uk
www.practicalparent.org.uk
www.familiesonline.co.uk
www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com

The rest were local sites for my area. You can also pay google a small fee to be on their search engine.

KatieMac Mon 06-Jun-05 15:51:18

I'm very proud of mine too

WalnutCorner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now