Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: Policies

(10 Posts)
Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 10:58:02

Could you spare a moment for proof reading my policy. It doesn't read properly to me but I have written so many now my mind is NUMB!!

Emergency and Fire Escape Procedures

Fire Escape Procedure

In the event of a Fire the meeting point in the house is by the front door. If Fire is confirmed then everyone should assemble by the wall in the front garden as we do each morning.

Should the way to the front door be blocked then we will proceed to the garden and await the Fire Brigade.

Emergency Procedure

Should I need to leave any of the children Mrs ******* is my pre arranged cover. She is well known to the children so I feel that they will be comfortable with this. In most cases she will come to my address but should it be necessary the children will be taken to her home.

I've added my covers address and telephone number to the bottom

Your thoughts comments ETC will be appreciated

Twiglett Mon 06-Jun-05 10:59:39

I would have thought in the event of fire you should have a meeting point outside the house .. never inside .. it should be a safe enough distance in case anything blows up .. fires spread bloody quickly

Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 11:07:36

Yes but I din't want to word it that as soon as the fire alarm goes off they can go out of the house on there own some are only 3/4?? So thats why I said confirmed?? I am going to do a run through with them later

Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 11:10:02

I want to explain to them that they shouldn't go running out but if they see one obviously they don't need to wait for me.

kcemum Mon 06-Jun-05 11:11:05

Perhaps explain how you would deal with babies/toddlers who are not very mobile

Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 11:13:10

Yes I need to put in abit about that although I don't have babies to mind other than my own. My real problem is deciding about the 3/4yos who can open the door themselves but can't go out on there own.

Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 11:14:30

Writing this one has made me think much more deeply about this issue than I have before which I find embarrassing. My only thoughts before have been that I would round them all up and get out. But obv easier said than done.

feelingold Mon 06-Jun-05 11:47:41

Xena - Have you done the fire safety course for childminders which should be available locally (usually at your local fire station). If not you may find details in your latest training directory or from your childminding development officer.
I have been on this course even though my husband is a firefighter simply because it does make you think about fire safety and planning in a different way to that of your family fire plan.
As long as your children know what your smoke alarms sound like and you practice a fire drill regularly with them (and keep a record of it) it will become second nature to them and they will then know exactly what to do.
Your local fire safety officer will be able to give advice on assembly points etc depending on the layout of your house and garden so I would recommmend you get their help (you can get them to come out to you by contacting your local fire station if you can not do the fire safety course).

Xena Mon 06-Jun-05 15:17:25

Thanks feelingold I have got in touch with our local fire safety officer and he has given me lots of good advice. Unfortunatly they don't run the course atm as they are concentrating on older folk and fitting there alarms.

KatieMac Mon 06-Jun-05 21:59:10

Don't you need to take contact numbers for the children with you - or have them available to use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now