Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live-out nanny doing her laundry at our house

(19 Posts)
mumintroll Mon 21-Sep-09 14:34:14

Am curious if people allow this? I've just recently noticed that my live-out nanny has been doing her laundry at our house. Of course she should have asked, but aside from that, I wonder if it's common? I suppose if she can get it done without neglecting her duties, the extra cost to us is really not a big deal...

KnickersandVests Mon 21-Sep-09 14:39:51

Years ago I was a live out nanny and I would never have dreamed of doing that. I wouldn't have even asked.

What are launderettes for?

It's incredibly rude and cheeky.

annh Mon 21-Sep-09 14:39:54

I think it's cheeky! She should at least have asked if you minded. What next? Cooking her dinner? Doing her ironing? To me, this is similar to someone in an office-bound job helping themselves to stationery or stamps, making personal phone calls etc.

justaphase Mon 21-Sep-09 15:03:12

I agree it is a little cheeky, especially as she did not bother to ask, but on the other hand I would not get too wound up about iit if she is otherwise a good nanny.

I once interviewed a nanny who asked to do her cooking in my house but she said she would do all of our family's cooking at the same time. I thought it was a fair deal although I did not offer her the position for other reasons.

TwoCupcakes Mon 21-Sep-09 16:32:02

Agree that she should have at least had the decency to ask! perhaps lightly ask her about it - you never know, her washing machine could have broken down and she could have been embarassed to ask if she could use yours. It doesn't excuse the fact that she should have been polite enough to ask. I for one am quite happy if it's the occasional cooking/washing etc but not if its a permanent thing - to me, it's not so much about the costs but it feels like they are taking advantage and that's just not right.

EverySingleStar Mon 21-Sep-09 16:41:41

I once used my boss's house for laundry but had mentioned probably a week before that our dryer was broken (being American I'm used to tumble drying everything grin) and my bosses (also being American and sharing the same sentiment!) were horrified and said I could of course use theirs as long as was necessary.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 21-Sep-09 18:14:14

it would have been polite to ask first

I have used works before, but asked first - when my washing machine decided to leak everywhere till I had brought a new one

GreenBlack Mon 21-Sep-09 18:16:50

Maybe her clothes got dirty while playing in the mud with children (or something)? In which case I think it's OK.

nbee84 Mon 21-Sep-09 19:18:33

I stick my swimming things in with the childrens, but apart from that I would always ask before using their washing machine for my own laundry - it's about manners.

clayrebear Mon 21-Sep-09 19:20:38

As a nanny I would say that is over stepping the mark. When my washing machine broke my boss insisted I use their washer and as she worked from home she put a second load in for me and put the first load in the dryer while I was out with the children

domesticslattern Mon 21-Sep-09 19:41:06

It would have been polite to ask first.
Having said that, I am very sympathetic to her. For many folk, the memory of not having a washing machine is very distant, or even an experience which they have never had. Thoughout my twenties I had to spend long long afternoons at the laundrette fending off neighbourhood nutters and spending pounds and pounds so my clothes could be washed/ boiled (the temperature is always a bit dodgy on laundrette machines IMHO). And they never smelt quite right either.
You are probably richer than your nanny. Being able to do her washing at yours may make quite a big difference to her week. smile If, as you say, she can get it done without neglecting her duties (you don't say you are unhappy with any other aspect of her work), then I really think you would be very very tight to insist on principle that she did it at home.
Though, like I said, she should have asked first.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 21-Sep-09 19:43:37

It isn't really an expected perk of the job and she really ought to have asked you first.

Are you going to ask her about it?

juneybean Mon 21-Sep-09 19:47:07

Depends really because if she works anything like the hours I work I sometimes have to wear the same clothes for days on end because I don't have time to wash my clothes.

I just worked 6 days of varying hours and live with a brother who can't sleep if the washing machine is on over night.

However I wouldn't do it off my own back. I'd ask first!

nannyL Mon 21-Sep-09 21:40:23

with the exception of children being sick over me / getting covered in something dirty / swimming things when swimming with children, as a live out nanny i would always ask to use the machine.

It wouldnt cross my mind to take laundry to work, unless home machine was broken (and when work machine was broken i have taken my bosses washing home and done it in my machine for them)

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Sep-09 11:14:53

ditto nannyl

no washing machine and clean clothes every day for 3 mucky pups soon adds up mb/db was very appreactive as well

how on earth we used to manage in the olden days years ago wink

i remember my mum going to our local launderette for years - we only got a washing machine when kitchen was redesigned as had no room in it - thik i was about 11 then - so 25years ago

LilianGish Tue 22-Sep-09 11:19:47

Does she do the children's laundry? If so it wouldn't bother me too much as she could just stick it all in together. Otherwise I'd say she should mention it to you first.

watchthisspace Tue 22-Sep-09 12:26:26

The same thing happened to me... i discovered my previous live-out nanny was doing her washing regularly. It is not an acceptable thing at all! I later discovered that she also lied about many of the activities she was doing which only came out by chance when the other nannies mentioned this on a playdate recently.

I think almost everyone would agree its dishonest but what I discovered was that with dishonesty comes other white lies....

mumintroll Tue 29-Sep-09 22:30:57

Sorry for not responding earlier - have been busy. Thanks for all your advice. Have not confronted nanny yet as I recently commented on something else and don't want to be overly negative all at once, but I think I'll ask about it when I do her review.

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 29-Sep-09 22:36:42

Try and get some good reasons why you object to it (apart from not being asked). I'd feel the same but I think I'd find it difficult to put into words what was so terrible about it. As you say, the cost to you is marginal. provided it's not all sheets and knickers, it's not for hygienic reasons either (and, anyway, that's what the washing's for).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now