Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Late Fees - just been caught out, grrrr!!

(13 Posts)
StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 13:10:03

Hi,

I am relatively new to childminding, started Feb this year & have just been caught out for not putting my late payment fee's on my contractangry, I am so annoyed with myself. Now I have to wait a whole month before these parents settle thier bill & I will incur bank charges etc & they get away scot free!

What makes this worse is, its a contact I terminated as it wasnt working out.

So for all newbies out there, make sure you put a note of your late payment dees on your contract.

Hope everyone having a good day

LadyMuck Mon 21-Sep-09 13:13:15

Did you not notify them at all of the late payment fee? Why are they not going to pay you for another month?

StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 13:16:53

Hi lady muck - yeah all my late payment fees are on my list of fees but just checked with NCMA legal dept & if they not on the contract I cant charge. Dads overtime didnt go through so they cant pay me - have explained what financial difficulty this leaves me in, but it doesnt seem to matter

LadyMuck Mon 21-Sep-09 13:19:55

Personally I would ring NCMA again. That doesn't ring true in terms of contract law (though not my current area of expertise).

StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 13:27:34

Hi again, not sure what to do now as all a bit confused by it all. I am just so fustrated that its ok for me to get incur bank charges etc & they dont pay me an extra penny shock & its not like its a week they are asking me to wait, its a whole blinkin month!

LadyMuck Mon 21-Sep-09 13:30:43

If you have notified them of the fee, and they are using your services, and not paying you, then frankly I would charge the fee. Unless you have worded your contract in an excessively restrictive or unclear way.
What have you said to the parents so far?

StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 13:38:05

When I spoke to the legal dept they said it didnt matter if I notified of them of the fee in my list of fee's as they had only signed to pay for what was on the contract & I couldnt charge it as it wasnt on there.

I have emailed the parents explaining this (he is in the poilce & I know he will be checking this out with his legal dept too) so kinda feel stuck between a rock & hard place. I know I am no longer working for them but the money owing is for care already provided & whats to say something else wont happen next month?

Sorry for the rant blush

Shoshe Mon 21-Sep-09 13:45:33

Another reason to always charge in advance.

I never do arrears charges, have been caught out like this.

I have late payment in my Handbook, and when i do the contract I add onto it, that the Parents are signing that they have read and understood the handbook, and are signing that they will adhere to all policies within it.

StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 13:50:05

Hindsight is great isnt it ;) If anything, I have learnt a great deal from this though.

I let them pay me in arrears to help them out because of mum changing jobs - oh I so wont be sucked in by any sob stores next time! No money up front, no care & late fees are going to be engraved on contract, ha ha ;)

PinkChick Mon 21-Sep-09 13:57:01

regardless of what it says on contract, i would still send them a letter stating that as per your listed fees (because your fees may change but you also may not changet hat column on your contract?..i wouldnt TBH, mayb e i should??) because due to them not paying you on time you will receive charges from your bank, you will have to pass on those charges to them which will be for x amount.
id state that the only rason you will incur these fees is due to them not paying 'AS AGREED ON THEIR CONTRACT' (whats good for one is good for another, theyve breached their contract by doing this), thus you will be adding the amount to their final bill!
good ;uck smile

thebody Mon 21-Sep-09 18:34:02

why are some parents such tossers when so many are lovely?

what selfish behaviour,

regardless of contracts and late payments if you owe money then you owe money and you should bloody well pay it, no ifs no buts.

StaceR Mon 21-Sep-09 18:43:51

Well just had the shock of my life & just opened an email to say they had paid me & as jesture of goodwill paid the late fee! Its amazing that they suddenly found the money after I said it had left me in really akward position as I will have to leave a bill unpaid this month due their none payment!

Well you live & learn & I will make sure on all future contracts its on their in blood!

Thanks for everyones replies & advise xx

thebody Mon 21-Sep-09 18:47:23

great outcome and pleased for you.. makes you almost optimistic of human nature..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now