Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick nanny +tax question - how many hours before PAYE needs to be done?

(5 Posts)
stringerbell Sun 20-Sep-09 21:39:50

Message withdrawn

nannynick Sun 20-Sep-09 21:56:41

Yes, they may have another job, also the amount is above NICs lower earning limit.
I'll post a link to HMRC website when I get home, around 10.30pm ish.

nannynick Sun 20-Sep-09 22:46:16

As it is £105 a week, then you may be able to not operate PAYE... but it depends a lot on if they have any other work.

Source: HMRC Simplified PAYE intro
"If it's their only job and you pay them at or over the LEL but below the Earnings Threshold (ET) for NICs - £110 a week or £476 a month (2009-10) - you won't have to operate PAYE on their earnings but you'll have to keep a record of their personal details, their National Insurance number and the amount you pay them."

If this is not their only job, then you need to operate PAYE. As you are paying below £160 gross per week, you can operate Simplified PAYE

I suggest you ask your to-be-employee if they have any other job. Then contact the New Employer Helpline on Tel 0845 60 70 143. (open 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 8am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday) and discuss the situation with the helpline staff, with the aim of them confirming that the person does not have another job and that you won't therefore need to operate PAYE at all, or that you need to operate Simplified PAYE.

stringerbell Mon 21-Sep-09 08:08:42

Message withdrawn

nannynick Mon 21-Sep-09 08:53:43

Yes, with another job it is Simplified PAYE you want to use. Simplified PAYE is a lot easier than full PAYE, so you will be able to do it yourself. P16 - explains how to fill out the P12 Deductions Card
If this is not their main job, they may decide to have all tax free allowance allocated to their other job. You would then use code BR, which makes it even easier as you calculate NICs using the CA37 tables and to get tax deduction calculation you multiply weekly (or monthly) taxable pay by 0.20 (see page 4 of P16)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now