Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

not sure what to do...

(42 Posts)
discoball Sun 20-Sep-09 19:56:05

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help. I charge £6.50 p/h for babysitting and just say, for example, I sat for 4 hours = £26 - if they don't say anything after giving me £30, should I offer them the £4 difference or will it offend them? Don't want to appear presumptious! Thanks. P.S. I would always offer out of principal/good manners but wonder if it's taken (if they don't say anything) that they're happy to round up?!

Simplyme Sun 20-Sep-09 20:08:30

I always say something like is this alright??? Mind you I don't tend to bring change as I think it is their responsibility to have the right money and that way it is always rounded up!!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 20:11:28

I would always have change and if they gave me more than it is I would say, just a minute while I get your change. Up to them then.

discoball Sun 20-Sep-09 20:11:28

Good points, Simplyme! Thank you.

Romanarama Sun 20-Sep-09 20:12:27

Offer the change. They can take it or say 'keep it'. I can't see how it's offensive at all.

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 20:12:35

i also charge 6.50 and many times have been given 30 i say nothing, some parents have asked for change and to honest most of the time i say no, prob cheeky but i'm broke grin

i uses to work for sitters and use to get underpaid all the time so it evens out for all those times, i think the problem is i just take what they hand me and then look how much it is when i've left, i'd feel embarrased if i stood there checking it (this is how i got underpaid)

discoball Sun 20-Sep-09 20:12:37

Thanks, Fab - yes, I suppose if you say "I'll get your change", they're soon going to say if they want any or not! Thanks.

magicOC Sun 20-Sep-09 20:13:52

I always have change on me for parking etc so always get my bag to give them the change. 99% dont take it, but, I think it's only fair to offer.

TBH I would die of embarassment if they had to ask for it LOL

discoball Sun 20-Sep-09 20:15:50

Agreed, magic, it is only fair. Thx. smile I think I will go armed with my change on Weds then!!! Thanks all. smile

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 20:20:34

so i'm the only bad one

clayrebear Sun 20-Sep-09 20:41:27

I am with cookielove I just take the money when I get paid and dont count it in front of parents so dont offer change tho a parent did once ask for the £1 change after she had paid me which was cheeky because she wouldn't pay my taxi fare home as I dont drive but that is a whole new topic!

Simplyme Sun 20-Sep-09 20:43:35

No not the only one cookielove!! I take the monehy and purposefully don't bring change to give them

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 20:47:21

oh good, that makes me feel better although i didn't feel that bad to begin with. grin

Bink Sun 20-Sep-09 20:58:51

Are you serious about refusing change? Do you get repeat bookings?

We always always round up, and our babysitters ALWAYS offer us change, and we always say no. But if there were a case when we needed the change, and the babysitter refused! - we'd not go anywhere near them again.

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 21:06:48

i have had many repeat bookings, i think its up to the parents to bring correct change, not the babysitter to bring money with them.

I find it very awkward looking through the amount they give me especially if it is all folded up, why should i assume they want it if they haven't made it obvious that they do, I have been asked and i haven't been rude and just said no, 'very sorry but no i don't' e.t.c really when its that little what does it matter??

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 21:09:14

So why ask if you are so sure you are doing something that is ok?

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 21:12:07

i asking why does it matter to you who disagree? I have no reason to doubt myself

Summersoon Sun 20-Sep-09 21:13:35

Completely agree with Bink!

nannyL Sun 20-Sep-09 21:37:29

i was once asked for 5p change shock...

they paid me to the nearest minute hmm

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 21:41:27

See what i don't like is when they round your time down, say you work four a half hours and they pay you for four, thats not fair!

Or you have to deal with a sleepover which they suprise on you when you walk in, also not playing by the rules,

Or you have to deal with a dog being sick all night and you clean it up all night any you get nothing extra, even though they knew the dog was ill.

I mean really this babysitting marlarky isn't always such an easy job, as some of these parents think

Simplyme Sun 20-Sep-09 21:42:42

I don't offer change back but I do say something along the lines of is this ok? They always say yes its fine. I tend to find the parents that are generous always round up and never ask for change and the ones who pay to the minute always have the correct change anyway so never really a problem!!

Bink you might not go near your babysitter again if she refused you change but from the other side of the coin you might find the babysitter wouldn't go near you again if you asked for change on a couple of pounds! Certainly if I have 2 families ask me for the same night then I will always go with the generous family so the tight family may well find themselves without a trusted babysitter!!

Danthe4th Sun 20-Sep-09 21:56:42

I do a minimum £30 charge, but if I didn't I would just say 'i'm sorry I didn't bring my purse I haven't got any change' but its a bit cheeky. I babysat last night and was booked for 7.30 till midnight but the speeches over ran so I sat waiting in the hotel till 8pm and then they were late back, they came back legless and said it was 4 hours I said no it was 5 actually so got £60 as it was £12 an hour and they gave me a £10 tip so was pleased at that.

BradfordMum Mon 21-Sep-09 07:42:15

I think you should get change ready and offer it, if they say it's ok, then thank them.
I can't believe the person who refuses change!
I certainly wouldn't use you again!
JMI!

onedaymyprincewillcome Mon 21-Sep-09 09:12:50

bloodyhell the arrogance on this thread is amazing.

Do you lot go to Marks and Spencer and not expect change when you do your shopping ?

If you had a man round to mend your washing machine and you paid him in cash would you not expect change if you didnt have the right money ??

I wouldn't use any of you to babysit again to be honest. If I choose to pay over the odds then thats fine but where you have quoted me an hourly rate and presumably would charge me for a cancellation I would expect you to be professional enough to offer me change to the correct amount.

And whats more I wouldn't want you looking after my children with that lack of understanding or disregard for basic manners TBH.

Sorry to be so blunt.

madusa Mon 21-Sep-09 09:15:18

i used to always take change when i babysat

I offered it but no one ever accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now