Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

where to look for nannies

(14 Posts)
hatsoff Sun 05-Jun-05 23:56:47

any suggestions other than Simply Childcare and Nannyjob.co.uk as to where I should look for new nanny/childminder. (not particularly interested in paying agency fees) Horribly stressed at the moment - have pg nanny leaving end July, but at the end of September I'm finishing work myself to become a f-t student. Means I need someone who will cover my current working hours for two months and then my as yet unknown studying hours October onwards. all horribly complicated.

NannyL Mon 06-Jun-05 12:12:21

have you looked for adverts in local school / nursrys notice boards (on the notice board at my charges school there are currently 2 nannies advertising themselves)

you could put an advert in your local paper!

also nannyselect.co.uk but parenst have to pay a small fee to advertise (nannies dont)

you can advertise there and search for CVs!

binkie Mon 06-Jun-05 12:26:28

Well - gumtree.co.uk - but either you need to hover over it daily for weeks till you spot the right person, or set aside some days to go through the swathes of applications. I'm afraid I tried it, then spoke to agencies, and had to accept the agency candidates were the "right" ones for us. Goodbye holiday fund.

Also some people have used greataupair.com.

Childminders - council site?

PhDMumof1 Tue 07-Jun-05 19:58:28

I have to back up binkie on this one - am trialling nannyjob but have had some real hit and miss candidates, and the 2 agency candidates have turned out to be the better ones.

Unfortunately 1st 2 agency candidates were useless so also been burnt there - but have switched to using agencies listed on bestbear -
if you CAT me I can send you their details.

Re horribly complicated situation (was in similar position last yr), I have found that the best thing is to offer hours & salary upfront to the person that you click with most.

I ended up employing nanny more hours than expected but this worked because I had never offered more than I could afford. It also gave me loads of time for studying, which meant that w/e's were all mine, and got course finished without year end stress.

If you employ someone who is open to say, having half day off come Sept to do family shop & for you to spend time with little one, but will work the hours you need now, you are probably on to a winner.

Most childless, sought-after nannies prefer Mon-Fri sole charge as much as possible, so I had to modify my requirements to fit the best person for our family. This gives better peace of mind than looking for a person who will miracously be flexible and affordable.

Obviously there are other options, I am just speaking from my own experience. HTH.

PhDMumof1 Tue 07-Jun-05 19:59:48

Don't know if it's relevant but I was writing up a PhD which also involved lots of time at home, so would join nanny and DS for lunch & tea most days.

starshaker Tue 07-Jun-05 20:09:33

have u tried the lady magazine

hatstand Wed 08-Jun-05 14:31:44

phd - I think (?) I'm bring quite generous with myself in terms of the cover I need for my masters. What I've decided to do is to change my work hours (the timing, not the amount)when the new nanny starts to be the same as I need for when I start to study. I'm working on the assumption that I'll need 30 hours a week, which added to dd's nursery hours will give me 42.5 hours a week, but need to take off some commuting time. The main problem is they haven't published timetables so although I can guess how much I'll need I'm not entirely sure when I'll need it....Do you think that gives me enough study time? the problem with study is that it expands to fit available time. I'm a bit of a study junkie and this is my second masters!

SpanishEyes Wed 08-Jun-05 14:45:09

Where are you Hatsoff?

hatstand Wed 08-Jun-05 20:41:47

kingston why?

PhDMumof1 Thu 09-Jun-05 19:01:16

hi there study junkie / hatsoff

that sounds like ample time - esp if you can work when little one asleep in the evening

remember to give yourself an at home day / afternoon to spend with your little ones otherwise the studying rather than working isn't worth it !!

hatstand Thu 09-Jun-05 20:05:26

yep - I'm hoping to have one clear week day. even then dd2 will be at nursery for 2 and a hlaf hours so I might even make it to teh gym occassionally

PhDMumof1 Fri 10-Jun-05 14:04:11

Definitely make sure nanny isn't too territorial as well - be upfront and let her know that you will want this time with little ones.

My nanny has been great, but was a bit perplexed when I would nip down to have my lunchbreak with her and DS at first. I think she thought I was checking up on her when really I just wanted to spend time with the munchkin!

Issymum Fri 10-Jun-05 14:21:39

I got our current and previous nanny through gumtree (www.gumtree.co.uk) and will use it again to replace our current nanny who is leaving at the end of October .

I advertised (cost approximately £20) both times on the site. Interestingly neither nanny had advertised herself. If you are going to do this I think it is worth spending a really good chunk of time putting an advert together that covers plenty of information about you as a family and your situation, everything you would look for in a nanny and (more subliminally) what makes this an attractive job for the perfect nanny. I can email you my 'successful' ad if you want Hatsoff!

Even with a really informative ad I ended up getting alot of irrelevant replies, but they were very easy to whittle down. I wrote and reused three fairly full but standard replies - one a very polite "thank you but no thank you", one "more information please" and one "contact me". I slightly modified each reply, but having the three templates saved a lot of time.

The enormous cost of agency fees does give you a substantial incentive to work through the replies like 'I nise girl. Job me pleaze.'!

hatstand Sun 12-Jun-05 22:24:33

thanks Issymum. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment - mostly through Simply Childcare - have got 5 people coming this week. One I am certain is a no-hoper, but the others I think could be. The whole thing is a total nightmare and unbelievably time consuming. Why do nannies have to go and have babies?! - the only reason our current, lovely, nanny is leaving. Totally off topic - hope your dh is doing ok at the mo. I've been a bit on and off recently and neuro has referred me (although appointment is yet to come through) for dmds. Kind of good taht something is happening, but not exactly enthralled by the idea. I really appreciated all your advice btw - thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now