Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I need to be registered as a Childminder?

(7 Posts)
Mumsaysno Sat 19-Sep-09 19:38:45

My friend works full time and her daughter starts school in January (the same school that my children go to) she has asked if I would have her child at my house for about 40 mins in the morning and then take her to school and then pick her up from school and look after her until 5.30-6pm. She has offerred to pay me for this. But I am confused as to whether I need to be registerd to do this, is this classed as childminding?

hercules1 Sat 19-Sep-09 19:39:14

Yes, you do.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 19-Sep-09 19:39:38

I'm pretty sure she has to have your DCs for over two hours a day before she has to register, but laws may have changed.

hercules1 Sat 19-Sep-09 19:40:39

I have no knowledge of the law btw!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 19-Sep-09 19:44:18

>>realises that she probably will have the DCs for more than 2 hours a day, and that I am confusing OP with her friend.<< blush

Starting again; if you're being paid, and have them for more than 2 hours a day, you have to register. Or you could do it for free.

nannynick Sat 19-Sep-09 20:15:56

You can see the Exemptions to Registration in the following document:

[[http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/uksi20080979_en1 The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008. It applies in England.

Mumsaysno - you would be exempt from registration if you cared "for a particular child for two hours or less per day".
In the situation you describe, it depends on the pickup time from the school. If pickup time is say 3.30pm, then you will exceed the 2 hours.

If you provide the care at the child's home, then it is exempt. - "child or children for particular parents, wholly or mainly in the home of the parents"

So instead of picking the child up and taking her back to your home, if you picked her up and took her to her home... then you wouldn't need to register.

nannynick Sat 19-Sep-09 20:16:47

Oh dear that link failed. Will try again

The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now