Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs: Help with some planning

(6 Posts)
crace Sat 19-Sep-09 14:34:09

Hi everyone, I hadn't planned September as I was having 3 part-timers starting, 2 of them after school only and 1 after pre-school. I didn't know when they were starting due to different issues all the families were having etc etc

ANYWAY, I am now needing to "formally" structure the next two weeks of September. Not worried about it too much as I am still introducing them all to the setting and getting used to the routine of school.

But could I have a few activities we could do? We will be doing outdoor stuff etc but some indoor stuff? My brain is so tired. October will be themed/outlined/EYFSed until my ears pop off but I could use some ideas for the next couple of weeks.

allthatglisters Sat 19-Sep-09 19:11:46

As you are still getting to know them, I wouldn't do any formal planning - just put out some things that you think children of their ages would like and see what their interests are. Before- and after- schoolers have already had a busy day and may like colouring/drawing, gluesticks and collage materials (see what you already have).

For the EYFS you can make some observations for a simple 'Starting Points' summary. If you like you can record what activities they do - you'll probably find that the 6 areas of learning are covered in what you generally do.

crace Sat 19-Sep-09 19:35:46

It's a funny thing isn't it? I feel like I should provide an activity for the after schoolers but they do have such busy days. What are parents/Ofsteds general thoughts on after school children?

My after school parents were quite happy for their children to 'chill' when they got to my house - they've had 6hrs or more of formal education and are knackered by the time we get back. Yes, if I had them in the holidays I would plan activities - but I have never had formal plans, and that wasn't a problem when I was inspected this year.

EYFS is supposed to be child-led, so I just had monthly 'themes', then took my lead from the children when they arrived.The 'planning' element is supposed to be for the child's 'next steps', not formal weekly/ daily plans - or so I was led to believe by the inspector. But the goalpsts change from inspector to inspector, so who knows what they want from us hmm

crace Sun 20-Sep-09 09:28:16

Hmm, maybe I should relax on the after school activities then. Luckily one after school child is 6 (hooray!) so he is ok, but I've got one that falls under the EYFS. Blech

HSMM Sun 20-Sep-09 10:11:00

When my lot come home from school, they either want to just flop in a chair, or charge around the garden screaming. That's about it. I will find them something to do otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now