Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay student to look after children on a Saturday?

(16 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:08:32

My husband has taken a job that involves Saturday work and I also work a Saturday. There is virtually no registered childcare in my area that operates on a Saturday and after posting another thread on Mumsnet yesterday someone suggested advertising for a local childcare student to do it.
I placed an add on my local Gumtree and have been inundated with replys from interested parties. They all range from 17 to 21 and most have childcare qualifications and all have practical experience. The problem is I have absolutely no idea how much I should be giving them. Obviously I don't want to offer over the odds but I also don't want to take advantage. The arrangement will be casual, like babysitting as some weeks my Mum or neighbour will have the kids so I will pay cash.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated before I arrange to meet any of the candidates! By the way I live in Nottingham, Midlands.

LittleHarrysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:14:47

We have a similar type of person(student) who babysits for us occasionally, so def not a regular thing and she charges between £8 - £10 per hour. I think if I were to offer her regular work say 3 Sats out of 4 for 8 hours a time she would be happy to take £7.50 per hour.

We live in the South East. xx

OrangeFish Thu 17-Sep-09 16:18:40

Minimum wage if they have no qualifications or experience, more if they have, but no more than what they would earn taking care of 6 children in a nursery job.

OrangeFish Thu 17-Sep-09 16:18:59

Unless you have 6 or more children, of course.

LittleHarrysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:19:33

There is a thread on here somewhere where loads of sitters/nannies/CM's posted there details/whereabouts I will try and find it

pinkmagic1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:21:26

Thats a lot more than I thought, I had an experienced nanny contact me charging £6 an hour. A proper childminder isn't much more than £10 an hour for 2 children. If I am to pay this it wont really pay me to work

OrangeFish Thu 17-Sep-09 16:23:39

Can you get help to pay for this via child tax credits?

LittleHarrysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:26:35

The thread is here

Maybe there is someone on there that could help you

BradfordMum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:27:47

Weekend rates are usually more than Monday to Fridays.
I doubt you"ll find somone who wants less than £6 per hour.
Do you and your Dh get enhanced rates for working weekends?

pinkmagic1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:28:56

Bradford Mum-No

pinkmagic1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:32:39

I was thinking maybe minimum wage, depending on age as we are talking about a Saturday job in most cases while the individual is at college. How times have moved on since my Saturday job, some babysitters are paid more than me!

LittleHarrysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:37:24

Tell me about it pinkmagic! If I didn't need child free evenings and weekend (for my sanity) I would be sitting I think!!
What is min. wage these days

<out of touch, thick emoticon.>

pinkmagic1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:38:40

Think its about £3.50 for under 18's and £4.50 or something like that for 18-21.

Hello I would suggest £3.50-£5 an hr depending on the persons experience and qualifications.

personally I would suggest interviewing 6 of them (allowing for 2 not to turn up) and choose 2 of them and get them to do alternate saturdays then if one is ill or on holiday the other will hoepfully cover.

I am in leicester and cover nottingham but do charge £12 an hr on saturdays but am a qualified childrens nurse with lots of experience and qualifications.

good luck.

Tombliboobs Thu 17-Sep-09 20:07:30

I would take the minimum wage add a bit on for weekend work and leave it at that. If it is a student he/she will be glad of the experience and as it is a casual babysitting arrangement then I think that is fair.

Even in some nurseries qualified nursery nurses are not getting much more than that. If you offer what you feel is right, then they have the chance to agree or not. I would also tell them how much you are offering when you ring up to speak to them, then you won't waste your time interviewing for someone to then turn the job down.

Good luck.

Danthe4th Sat 19-Sep-09 17:13:23

My 14 year old daughter gets £5 per hour for saturday babysitting and I charge £6 per hour per child at my house as a cm or £8/£10 per hour at yours for up to 3 children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now