Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it too early to start looking for a childminder ?

(6 Posts)
bumpsoon Thu 17-Sep-09 11:34:18

Im due in dec and plan to go back to work 2 days next october ,is it too soon to start looking for childminders in my area ?

danthe4th Thu 17-Sep-09 11:41:06

I've just had an enquiry for next september and personally have said its too soon, but I have told the parents that as things stand at the moment I have no space but if things change I will let them know. I would not take a deposit and could not charge a reatiner as I don't have space available. But there is no harm in finding out who is in the area, who works on the days you require as a cm may have their own child starting school next year and it may fit in well.You may get to know them at toddler and baby groups so you can see who you prefer,if this is your first child when you have your baby you may meet someone and can go on a recommendation. As your baby will be under 1 it will take up a baby space so no harm in making enquiries.

danthe4th Thu 17-Sep-09 11:41:41

thats retainer

bumpsoon Thu 17-Sep-09 11:48:09

ok might leave it and have a look after christmas then . Unfortunately the lovely lady who looked after my dd ,has moved on to something else sad

littlestarschildminding Fri 18-Sep-09 08:33:37

I wouldn't start looking until about June next year.... childminders can't possibly know about spaces they will have available a year + in advance!! (with the exception of children going to school)

Do you really want to pay a retainer for a year?? Normally 50% of the fees!

Great to be organised but thats a bit excessive. You don't even know what your bump is going to be like yet. He/ she might be super confident and happy in a big setting or shy as a mouse and need much more one to one...how could you choose the right setting not even knowing the baby?

6mnths is more than adequate to get on the waiting list of local cms who will then let you know when they have spaces available.

ThePrisoner Fri 18-Sep-09 17:00:36

I have no problem whatsoever with parents making enquiries a long time in advance. It can be possible for a CM to know in advance that they have a vacancy coming up - I know when my mindees are due to start school, or may be going to nursery, for instance.

Not all CMs charge deposits or retainers either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now