Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

can I ask to see how fees have been worked out?

(8 Posts)
ramonaquimby Wed 16-Sep-09 22:10:14

my childminder has just worked out fees for the upcoming year - has basically told me what to pay each month. I work part time, term time only with the odd day off and odd extra day. And I have 2 kids on different hourly rates. with one in reception so payment different again.
Is it reasonable for me to ask how she arrived at the figure?

xoxcherylxox Wed 16-Sep-09 22:16:40

hi
i am a childminder and whn i work out my fees and write everything down usually end up with lots of scribbles where ive had to score something out and write it again but once i get it right i type it all out showing all the calculations with all the adding, subtracting and dividing sums on the page with written explanations i print it all out in an understandable manner explaining my holidays what decutions have come off and give it to the parent with there final figure at the bottom telling them what to pay each week. that way the can see that calcualtions for themselfs and cant question it.
im surprised thats your childminder didnt do this i can never tell you exact fees of the top of my head as there is a lot of calculating to be done first.

Julesnobrain Wed 16-Sep-09 22:17:41

Yes of course. I would tell her thats really efficient and helpful of her to work it out as it helps you budget. I would then say I need to share it with DH and would like to know how the figures were worked out so you can explain it.

danthe4th Wed 16-Sep-09 22:38:36

Agree with jules, I would want it in black and white as some cm's add all the yearly fees together and divide by 12 so they get a monthly amount, some charge a retainer for holidays, I do a term time only contract and charge a slightly higher hourly rate but don't charge retainers over the hols, its so much simpler to work out if people leave half way through a year.You should have all the fees on your contract so try to work it out before you ask, check the small print for being charged holidays and bank holidays just so you know what youre paying for. Then no confusion later on.

HSMM Thu 17-Sep-09 07:59:54

I am a CM and I always give parents details of calculations.

Shoshe Thu 17-Sep-09 08:06:14

I give detailed invoices to all parents.

ramonaquimby Thu 17-Sep-09 15:46:36

thanks everyone.

looneytune Sat 19-Sep-09 10:49:18

Agree with everyone else. I always do a detailed sheet typed up with every calculation, I'm surprised this wasn't given to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now