Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

ok, what can you suggest to make this work??

(19 Posts)
PinkChick Wed 16-Sep-09 11:09:05

2 things, one minor on major smile

i have daily diaries for all the under 5's and we stick a photo of each on the front, but i would like to have personalised diaries with my business name on front...looked on vistaprint but nothing like that..so other than sticking a poster on fromt which will look a bit cheap and nasty how can i do the myself, would anywhere offer cheapy notebooks with a personalised, wipe clean front??

Other prob...how do you get parents to remember/listen/not ignore what you both agreed to in initial terms ie: diff fees for diff hours, the fact we MUST have notice of hours in order to plan our day (and free time), that the amount on your reciept is what you are required to pay, you do not reduce it yourself with no discussion because they 'chose' to bring child late/pick up early, we are limited to how many children we can care for so no notice WILL result in possibility in care not being available on days requested and that THAT is not me being awkward??
This is ALL in my t&c, they all get a copy, as they do a contract...am i banging my head against a brick wall??

Any advice appreciated smile

AvadaKedavra Wed 16-Sep-09 11:21:14

1st - no idea, will keep an eye out though

2nd - pull them in for a review

PinkChick Wed 16-Sep-09 11:31:57

Thankssmile...have asked one parent to meet with me as we NEED a chat, however there are very few who stick to what they promise, just basic things highlighted at the very beginning whihc are making things very hard for me when i have 9 people to run round after 'reminding 'sad

Katymac Wed 16-Sep-09 11:48:13

Newsletters??

Re-issue details to offending parents?

Laminate paper/photo for front of books - that is what I do

MrsBadger Wed 16-Sep-09 11:54:03

photobox spiral bound notebooks £5, or £6 from Cafepress

no hekl on the other thing though

HSMM Wed 16-Sep-09 14:18:09

How about pay what's on the invoice, or get a late payment fee added for the late payment of the balance? I don't have this problem (at the moment), but can't really tell you why. Same as you, I discuss when signing contracts and they just pay what I tell them to pay (lucky I guess).

atworknotworking Wed 16-Sep-09 19:21:02

When you raise the next invoice add to it an overdue amount from the last one as they didnt pay the specified amount. When queried by parents say if a credit is due a seperate credit note is raised, (by me, not you) but as you booked the hours but didn't attend the invoice is correct, if you don't need those hours then we need to renegotiate your contract.

Worked for me some parents can be very presumptious and presume it's ok, also if someone asks for extra hours or swaps days all the time I now say no sorry we are full (even if not IYSWIM) they soon get the message that your days are planned well in advance and can't be altered here there and everywhere to suit.

atworknotworking Wed 16-Sep-09 19:25:03

Also I list hours / rates seperately on invoice, I charge more after 6pm so the invoice might be

15th Sept Childcare 2 - 6pm 4hrs @ £x
15th Sept Childcare 6 - 9pm 3hrs @ £x

This tends to remind parents what the agreed amounts were.

danthe4th Wed 16-Sep-09 20:32:17

Payment in advance of all contracted hours and any expenses and a printed invoice with a reminder of any info also start charging late fees and a higher rate for extras.

Tigger13 Fri 18-Sep-09 19:28:46

What a cheek, I use a CM and I pay what is owed when its due if I chose to pick up early its my choice and I still pay for the hours I have booked. Some parents are horrible!!

cm are business not a charity

PinkChick Fri 18-Sep-09 21:46:20

thanks MrsBadger, those look great but a bit pricy, was hoping someone like vista print would do them at a discounted rate for the more i bought...will keep looking but thankyou.

thanks everyone for the tips, i have given them a receipt showing the amount still due from last week (after explaining it too mum anyway) plus meal fees when they forgot to bring childs dinner.

Parent came round tonight to talk about a prob with hours/days, not resolved but better to discuss, having to put a variation in to accomodate 3 part timers..am up sh&t creek if i dont get it and will have to let one or even 2 down if not 8-(..

but anyway, thankyou all for taking the time to help me, am starting to toughen up and am spelling out every detail of my contracts now!!! smile.x

pasturesnew Fri 18-Sep-09 21:53:13

DS' nursery only accepts payment in advance by childcare voucher and/or direct debit, or bank transfer for extra days. Don't see why you shouldn't implement a similar system.

PinkChick Fri 18-Sep-09 22:11:10

hi, some parents have tried to set up a direct debit before and they couldnt as amount changes, others havent been able to do transfers over phone from theirs to my account and other have promised to pay into my account direct 'that day' only to leave it until after 3pm 2 days later, so i was then charged for transfering money that wasnt there sad...LOL..i know its not actually funny but realising what i put up with!smile

PinkChick Fri 18-Sep-09 22:12:19

oh and sorry one parent succesfully now pays by voucher, but i had to keep reminding them to remind personal dept at his company in ealry days..sigh

TheIronLady Sat 19-Sep-09 09:33:13

Pinkchick, I am not sure if you have asked for payment in advance or not but the ONLY way I work is asking parents to pay one calendar month in advance.

When I first started out I used to worry about how a parent could pay a month in advance but soon learnt the hard way.

I have toughened up in the five years I have been minding and actually if a parent was unable able to agree to my terms, I wouldn't be able to take them purely because I could not afford to have anyone messing me around financially.

I had a parent once who was a week behind in payments. I reminded her on the Monday morning that if fees were not in my account by close of business that day, I would not be able to take child Tues, she got so huffy that she stormed out of my front door, tripped over my cat and ended up in a heap crying on the floor; whilst I did sympathise, I also felt extremely cross that we all had to witness (her child, my mindees) such a scene. She gave me cash that evening and I handed her a letter of notice! It may make me sound like a heartless so and so but I cannot get invovled in parents financial or emotional problems especially when I have mindees around. Since then, I just don't take any crap.

Having said all that, I am very lucky in that all my current parents are just wonderful in every way smile

xoxcherylxox Sat 19-Sep-09 18:04:45

hi my parents all pay by standing order (not direct debit)they pay the same each week,fortnight or monthly for there contracted hours. if they use any overtime the they need to pay that cash to me on the day of the overtime.

PinkChick Sat 19-Sep-09 23:01:20

Hi yes they all pay a week/month in advance, i am flexable in the way i offer weekly or monthly but always state payment day monday or 1st of month...this parent 'was' good with payments, but since last few weeks, messing around...one other parent due to go on hol tomorrow, i gave next weeks invoice friday and asked when they went so we could organise payment..they said sunday so would bring over today...they havent been and have not answered my text..am very angry that it seems almost EVERYONE thinks they can take the micky sad

thebody Sat 19-Sep-09 23:29:43

totally understand and you have my sympathy, its like you start off being really nice and friendly and have to end up(with some parents) totally upfront and ballsy.. horrible and they push you into that role..

I just think that if I was using a cm I would definatly pay her on time and the full amount. no messing around.. so why shouldnt I expect the same back..

be firm and professional.. no pay then no smiley cm willing to take little johnny Monday mornring ,unless they go via the cash point.

Had had to do this once and it worked.. Dad had to put the child back into the car seat, looking shocked, and returned with the full amount owed to me in cash and they never tried to piss me off again.. result!!

PinkChick Sun 20-Sep-09 15:39:06

brillient smile need some self assertivness training from you wink

i am starting to toughen up and have finally realised if i 'cant' do hours they want because someone else has asked, then i just CANT, not me being awkward, nasty etc...i can only work to my ratios/ability and at the end of the day if theyre prepared for me to go over for their child, then theyre not that botherd about their safety or the attention theyll get!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now