Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

First-time Nanny recruitment in an emergency - what do Nannies expect?

(16 Posts)
manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 13:49:51

Hi

Congrats to Boffin. I'm hoping that I'll soon be able to post a similar message. I have just been left in the lurch by a CM who has decided she made the wrong decision in becoming a CM! So think nanny may be the way to go... need to get one quick so will be using an agency but just wanted to see if anyone could give me feedback on what makes a good nanny position. It will be live-out and its a small house, we don't have a car available at the moment but we're walking distance to beach, park, toddler groups, small town. I just have a bit of an old-school image of people who have nannies who have huge houses, posh cars for them to use etc etc and my offering pales in comparison!
Thanks

frakkinpannikin Tue 15-Sep-09 14:19:01

Are you looking to recruit a perm nanny in a hurry? You may be better with a good temp and thinking about what the person spec is, what you want the nanny to do and what conditions you're happy to offer. It'll also give you plenty of time to interview, do all the checks you want to and really make the right decision.

Or would your ex-CM consider becoming your nanny? Is it the children or the paperwork putting her off?!

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 14:34:40

Thanks Frakkin. I'm thinking maybe a temporary solution might be the best thing rather than rushing such an important decision but I am worried about dc, eldest one has just started school (hence move from nursery to CM) so lots of changes and I feel awful for messing them around. This is partly why the move to a nanny. My logic is at least if a nanny lets you down the kids are still in the same house with a new nanny rather than getting used to a new CM in new house, new routine etc. Current CM is not an option.
Anyway, yes in answer to your question, current CM is going to cover til end of month and then we'll have to take holiday etc so yes in a hurry! And quite stressed!

limonchik Tue 15-Sep-09 15:58:52

If you're offering a decent wage then the size of your house and whether you provide a car doesn't matter. If the nanny has her own car then she could always use that and you could pay her mileage.

limonchik Tue 15-Sep-09 16:01:35

If you're offering a decent wage then the size of your house and whether you provide a car doesn't matter. If the nanny has her own car then she could always use that and you could pay her mileage.

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 16:23:12

Thanks Limonchik - the agency I spoke to yesterday said that £7.50 an hour net, + 5 weeks paid holiday (plus extra days off when the grandparents are down to visit!) would be OK. I would be offering 36hrs a week over 4 days. If a nanny used her own car would she have to pay extra to get different insurance?

frakkinpannikin Tue 15-Sep-09 16:32:21

You can specify nanny with own car and pay mileage so a car doesn't matter. A lot of people in normal sized houses have nannies!

You're right about the stability that a nanny can offer your children and it may not work out as the most expensive childcare option given you have more than one child.

Have a look around on nannyjob.co.uk to see what jobs are being offered in your area (and if you tell me what area you're in I'll scope round how many nannies are looking on my membership). A temp may cost you slightly more but as you say it's an important decision and worth taking time over. You have 2 weeks until the end of the month, you could get a temp for the month of October and save your holiday to do a handover to the new nanny.

Do you have any idea what you're looking for in a nanny? Don't stress about making your job mega-attractive, be honest about it (speaking as a nanny!).

The first thing to do is decide how much you're willing to pay and advertise the job with a slightly lower salary that you could potentially increase for a fab candidate.

Then decide whether experience or a qualification is more important to you - would you prefer someone with 2 years FT experience but no qualification or someone who's straight out of college having spent 2 years studying childcare? Is an ex-nursery nurse an option for you? Is experience with a particular age-group important?

Do you NEED a driver with own car? You say you have lots within walking distance and don't offer a car so your job may appeal to a non-driving nanny.

Be realistic about your job and the nannies will come. There is nothing more irritating for a nanny than to turn up to interview and find the job is nothing like what's been advertised. And it doesn't make for a happy relationship if you're bending over backwards to keep your nanny happy (see a recent topic on this!).

frakkinpannikin Tue 15-Sep-09 16:33:50

Any nanny using his/her car will need business use insurance but it doesn't cost any extra with a lot of insurers.

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 18:50:23

Thanks again, this is really helping me get my thoughts together. CM only handed in her notice this morning so still a bit all over the place! She is very well qualified but had no CM experience and decided she didn't like it so based on that I think I'd prefer experience. We left a very good nursery for this CM and have some contact details of our favourites there but not sure of the etiquette of approaching them. I'm on the coast in West Sussex thank you for the offer of checking for me - I have this evening set aside to scour old threads and read as much as I can on ask Nannynick, and check the finances to make doubly sure we can afford it!

frakkinpannikin Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:39

There are 70 CVs matching 'full-time, permanent, live-out' in West Sussex with at least 3-5 years experience according to nannyjob so there are definitely nannies out there if you choose to advertise yourself. Some of them say they are drivers with their own car if you would be willing to pay mileage. Some of them have their own child that they would like to bring with, is this something you would consider?

A quick scan also reveals that there aren't that many jobs out there in your region so you may find it quite easy to recruit.

Anything else you need then just shout - there are lots of helpful people on here!

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 20:10:47

Thank you so much, that sounds positive. There were a few ads for vacancies near me but mostly for less hours so hopefully there will be a few people out there looking for work. I am leaning towards using an agency as we're both really busy with work at the moment and I feel like I need the extra safety net of someone else checking references etc, have you had any experience of good/bad ones?

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 20:14:54

Meant to say, I'm not sure about them bringing their own child - I know that would save money but I think mostly my reasons for moving from a CM are so that my kids are the no.1 priority. Think I may just still be smarting from CM experience so won't rule that out as nanny will be considerably more than we were paying for CM.

frakkinpannikin Tue 15-Sep-09 20:26:38

Speaking as a nanny (I'm not a parent, so I'm a total imposter) I rate Eden and Imperial as agencies I've dealt with and heard good things about Kensington. That's all for ovesease work though, and the first two are fairly expensive. Friends rate Tigerlily and Laura something (or something Laura) for jobs in the South-East. Tinies are quite variable because they're a franchise, my local one is dire but other people have had good experiences. There are a few I wouldn't recommend because they've offered to put me forward for jobs without even meeting me!

I'm vaguely considering setting up an au pair agency though so I've done a lot of looking into how agencies work and advice parents might need (you're currently acting as a guinea pig if you don't mind!) so I spend a fair amount of time reading about nanny/AP probs on here and the recruitment process.

manamana Tue 15-Sep-09 20:47:14

Very pleased to hear that I am being some help to you too smile, good luck with your plans. I spoke to Tigerlily briefly yesterday (when things seemed to be going downhill with CM) so will try Little Lauras tomorrow - they both look more local. Thanks again, off to get some dinner now, its got late very quickly!

manamana Wed 16-Sep-09 22:34:56

Just thought I'd post an update. Have been talking to Little Laura's who have been very helpful :-) Feeling calmer. Have also had both Granny and Nanna on the phone reassuring me that they will drop everything and head south to help out so we don't have to rush our decision - feel very lucky. Thanks again for the very useful advice. May be back for more once we get onto interviews!

manamana Wed 14-Oct-09 20:26:08

Just wanted to post to say THANKS for all your advice. Our new nanny started this week. She is local, lovely and my 2 ds love her. We stuck with little Laura's, she was very helpful and I would highly recommend her. Frakkin - hope things work out for your new venture if you take the plunge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now