Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childacre/ helping needed panic -- please help me

(16 Posts)
oregonianabroad Mon 14-Sep-09 17:39:58

I (we) need help. I thought we would manage to collect my ds1 who has just started school and work and do everything but I just can't manage and I am thinking I am going to collapse soon.

Bit of background~ we live in a rural area, exactly half way between where we each work (me PT, him FT). We have 2 children, 1 is in nursery where I work 3 days per week. We thought we'd manage with a combo of afterschool clubs and sneaking away early but it's only week 2 and I can clearly see that this is not going to work. Not only is the afterschool club not certain to run, even if it does, I am not sure I really like the idea of my little four-year old going there -- just doesn't feel right. And sneaking away early is just not going to be practical on a daily basis.

So, how can I find the right person and where should I advertise? I have looked on nannyjob (not many in my area) and thought about an agency, but for someone who might only work a few hours per week, this seems like a lot of expense and I am not sure that the 2 advertised in my area are all that great, TBH.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

HSMM Mon 14-Sep-09 17:42:22

Have you looked at childminders who pick up from the school (the school may be able to help you with this)

crace Mon 14-Sep-09 17:42:27

Are you looking for a nanny or could a childminder do the job? I do a lot of school pick ups, and it seems more practical in rural areas.

Best of luck though, sounds a nightmare!

oregonianabroad Mon 14-Sep-09 17:44:26

i have been searching for a local childminder as well but not having much luck. the only one in our village has packed in due to the sure start putting her out of business, and i have not yet been able to find anybody else -- asked neighbours, etc...

crace Mon 14-Sep-09 18:00:01

Have you tried www.childcarelink.gov.uk? Also, maybe put a notice in a local shop window/post office?

Actually - maybe if you put your location someone on here can help?

dal21 Mon 14-Sep-09 18:22:53

I advertised on my local <<whispers>> netmum website and got quite a few replies.

danthe4th Mon 14-Sep-09 18:24:53

Where are you, someone may be able to help

oregonianabroad Wed 16-Sep-09 07:16:52

Thanks for all replies. We are 4 miles outside Durham. Not very good bus links so need someone who can drive, especially since the person will have to collect DS from school 1.5 miles away from home.

I've contacted a nanny agency (tinies) -- even though it is expensive, I am hopeful that we will be able to find the right person for our familiy quickly this way. Really wish I had listened to my instincts and begun looking in the summer when we would have had more time and could possible have managed it on our own....

PicketyBing Wed 16-Sep-09 08:03:39

Try Need A Nanny too. They serve your area and you may find they are cheaper than Tinies.

oregonianabroad Wed 16-Sep-09 16:03:15

Thank you, picketybing.

have a look on www.childcare.co.uk, www.gumtree.gom, www.nannyjob.co.uk, www.netmums.co.uk, www.findasitter.co.uk, www.findababysitter.co.uk - hope these help.

an agency I would recommend is www.kidsmatter.uk.com

PicketyBing Wed 16-Sep-09 19:49:50

Which days would you need help? I'm quite near to Durham, too far away to work permanently but could possibly help in the short term.

Need-a-nanny are good, by the way. They placed me in my current position.

oregonianabroad Wed 16-Sep-09 20:42:58

Thanks to both. Am needing someone 3-6 Mondays and Wednesdays. We are 4 miles from Durham, A-1 and A-19 if that is any good, Pickety?

PicketyBing Wed 16-Sep-09 21:43:47

Wednesday will be one of my days off from the end of September. I'll be working two full days and two half days and am just waiting to hear what they are. I don't have CAT on here, how will I pass you my email details without making them public?

oregonianabroad Thu 17-Sep-09 07:43:55

Hi Pickety,
WOuld you consider it as a permanent or temporary position?
Will set up a separate hotmail account for us, will that work?

oregonianabroad Thu 17-Sep-09 07:50:10

Pickety, if you email oregonneedsnanny@live.co.uk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now