Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny weekly salary. How much?

(4 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Mon 14-Sep-09 13:04:33

Completely new to all this so would appreciate your ideas.

We want to employ a nanny. If we employ one part time are we looking at an hourly rate? If so, how much? If we employ one full time, is it weekly salary, payable weekly and how much for liveout? So many questions! What kind of hours does a full time nanny keep. We only require daytimes, say, 4 days a week.

Two small kids 19 months and 3 months, some light housework, driving not necessary.

Do you pay more for someone who is experienced and mature and able to take initiative (i.e not an average student sitter or au pair)

Thanks in advance. I'm clueless with all this.

fc79 Mon 14-Sep-09 14:35:50

Hello, it depends on where you live really. Im a nanny in Surrey and I get around £85 per day net, for a 10.5 hour day. I dont have any housework or other duties in this job. My previous job was only 1 day a week and they paid me £9 net per hour as there was lots of other house duties involved in the job.

You have to remember that as an employer you would be responsible for paying the nannies tax and NI so the advice is to agree a gross salary that you know you can afford therefore there wont be any nasty suprises due to tax codes etc.

You should definitely expect to pay more for a qualified experienced nanny and for 2 such young children I would really recommend you do.

I get paid monthly, but this can be agreed between yourself and the nanny.

Maybe its worth ringing round some local nanny agencies, even if you dont sign up to the agency they can give you some guidelines on the cost etc.

nannynick Mon 14-Sep-09 14:38:15

There are lots of variations for how a live-out nanny works, hours they do, duties they have, also frequency of pay.

Monthly Pay - this I feel is more typical these days, though salary can often still be advertised as weekly amount.
Weekly pay - this means you run the payroll more often and transfer the money more often but in smaller amounts.

Nanny pay varies around the country, though in my view outside of London you are typically looking at around £70-£110 gross per day based on a 10 hour working day. Inside London the cost can be 20% or more higher. Salary paid can depend on many factors, such as the nannies experience and training level, amount parents can afford to pay (very important that one, don't offer to pay a nanny more than you can afford).

>If we employ one part time are we looking at an hourly rate?

Depends what you mean by part-time. Salary may well be done on a per-hour basis, though could be per-day.

>If so, how much?
Varies... anywhere from £6 to £15 per hour gross, depending on your location, expectations, level of nannies experience.

>If we employ one full time, is it weekly salary, payable weekly and how much for liveout?

It can be hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, annual. It's up to you. Generally I'd say that an hourly figure is agreed, which is then paid weekly or monthly (as anything other than weekly or monthly is a real payroll hassle).

>What kind of hours does a full time nanny keep.

It varies... I work 40 hours, which is part-time... as I work 4 days a week. When I worked in Government, I worked 36 hours a week which was Full Time. See the problem!

A full-time nanny in my view would expect to be working 10 to 12 hours per day.

>We only require daytimes, say, 4 days a week.

No problem, especially if those are the same 4 days each week. You simply advertise the position as a 4-day per week nanny (for example Tuesday-Friday)... 40 hours per week (or however many hours you will be needing).

>Two small kids 19 months and 3 months

Advertise for someone with baby and toddler experience.

>some light housework
See other threads on this board for what duties would be usual for a nanny. You will find that we all have a view with regards to ironing... some nannies do it, others don't.

>driving not necessary
Do you live in London then?

>Do you pay more for someone who is experienced and mature and able to take initiative (i.e not an average student sitter or au pair)
Yes in general you pay more for experience (which often comes with age)... though it isn't always more expensive than a nanny who has only worked for a couple of years. Nannying pay unfortunately for me does not increase that much over the years... so someone like me in my mid 30's may be getting the same salary as someone in their early 20's.

nannynick Mon 14-Sep-09 14:43:13

For a rough guide to current nanny wages in your area, look at job adverts on sites like NannyJob. Not all job listings will indicate salary but with luck some will.

AskNannyNick has some articles about Paying A Nanny, Advertising for a Nanny, Childcare Vouchers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now