Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder risk assesments

(12 Posts)
Ripeberry Sun 13-Sep-09 18:57:12

Hi, these RA are doing my head in! I understand that each child has to have a RA for each and every type of outing.
On top of that we have to review them EVERY time we go out, even if its something like the school run and it can be several times a day!
How do you do it? Do you complete a whole form each time or just date it?
I'm getting writter's cramp here!
Also I can see why some CMs don't go to many venues as the less places they go the less paperwork, which is defeating the object of children getting out into the community and having new experiences.
Has anyone got a system that works and Ofsted is happy with?
Thank you smile

Ripeberry Sun 13-Sep-09 19:00:51

Also, do we have to do risk assesments for every shop that we visit, even though the child is in a pushchair? Sorry, but the more I think of it, the more I just want to stay in the house and not move.
And yes, I do have a full risk assesment for the home and garden and it is reviewed each day.
No wonder I get up at 6am!

You need a RA for each TYPE of outing - ie shops, school run, park etc - but you don't have to redo it every time you go out and you definitely don't need one for each child smile. As long as you review them regularly, that's fine with Ofsted - we all do mental RA's every moment of every day anyway.

I wonder if the powers that be thought about the environment - ie the amount of paper that was going to be used, hence the number of trees that had to be felled - when they put EYFS together.... grin

Ripeberry Sun 13-Sep-09 19:41:55

I know! That's what's doing my head in. My printer ink bill is going through the roof!
Pity we can't use little dictaphones with little tiny tapes for each type of outing, we can verbally say it and no paper involved!

Shoshe Sun 13-Sep-09 19:47:04

I use one that has all the risks on the left of the page, then columns, that I tick as a assess and date at the top of the column, you can do a couple of months on ech sheet.

coral Sun 13-Sep-09 20:35:57

I thought long and hard about outings risk asssessments and what I decided to do was to devise different "hazard sheets" eg travelling on foot, travelling by car, travelling by bus, playgounds, parks etc for things which are relevant to a lot of places we visit. On these I note the areas of potential hazard, the risks, how that risk can be controlled and how the children can be involved in controlling the risk. Eg, at the park an area of potential hazard is "dogs", the risk is "bites" controlling could be "avoid close contact with dogs" and involving the children could be "talk to the children about dogs and advise them not to stroke any dogs whilst out". Then I do a seperate sheet for each place I regularly visit, eg school runs, each different playground, playgroup etc On these I note how we are going to get there eg, walking, in the car etc and, if walking, add a map highlighting the route taking into account the safest road crossing points, list the hazard sheets which I need to review, consider and action as necessary, include a checklist of all the stuff I need to remember to take and list on the back any additional hazards which may be specific to the venue. Then all I write each day in my diary is which routine outings we have undertaken (with times we left the house and returned), state that the risk assessments were reviewed and considered and whether there were any issues arising. I hope that all makes sense!

Took absolutely ages to do at first but is working well and no additional paperwork now except for one off outings which I do on an as needs basis (these are also made simpler because I can refer in them to the hazard sheets as necessary without having to repeat all that stuff again).

Will it pass an Ofsted inspection - who knows? I am not due an inspection for a while and those inspectors are such strange and fickle creatures!

Scarfmaker Sun 13-Sep-09 21:09:36

I typed up some original copies of each place I visit e.g. park, toddler group, travelling on the bus, library, musuem, etc. with all the risks in one column and then a tick box at the side with space for comments.

I then photocopy the original and just fill in the boxes, date it at the top and sign at the bottom saying something like "everything fine"

With places I go to regularly like toddler groups and parks, I complete one for each group/park every four to six weeks (yes four to six weeks).

Things like travelling on bus, library, museum I complete one every now and again as don't do these things on such a regular basis.

I have an original for my home and garden and then just photocopy it every four weeks, date it, sign it, and put something at the bottom like "everything in home ok" or for
garden "cleared up some foxes poo" today.

I buy some folders from the 99p shop and just put the risk assessments in there as I go along - keeping the original at the back.

I'm sure the EYFS says something like risk assessments only need to be done yearly. A childminder friend of mine had her inspection recently and the inspector said she was doing too many risk assessments!

danthe4th Sun 13-Sep-09 22:06:52

Have a look on www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/exeres/16797559-1d91-4110-a118-346a6545d42d
look down on the right where it says read more there are some risk assessment documents that you can copy some of the ideas

badgerhead Mon 14-Sep-09 08:09:59

Also the Bromley Childminding Association site has risk assessments on it, if I remember correctly in the downloads part from the EYFS. These are easy ones to do & I use those as a template for mine & the Inspector was happy with them at my inspection in July.

tigersmum Mon 14-Sep-09 14:15:44

I have just been Ofsteded and got an outstanding and she commented about how good my risk assessments were. If you would like to have a look at them to give you a couple of ideas then email me on cdale1@ntlworld.com
I review them every 6 months or if there is a significant change and she said that was fine. I appreciate that not all inspectors sing from the same sheet but there is only so much you can do.

clelmt Tue 15-Sep-09 13:17:44

hi, tigersmum would i be able to have to look at your risk assessments aswell please i have my inpection next week and havent got a clue. many thanks.blush

tigersmum Tue 15-Sep-09 18:56:06

Offer open to anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now