Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

is there a minimum age for a baby to be left with a sitter?

(20 Posts)
theansweris42 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:05:41

Just wondering about finding baby sitters as I have no family or friends nearby.
I have a wedding reception locally and some theatre tickets in December, bought ages ago.
Also have lovely 15 week old DS. He is exclusively BF-ed. He sleeps from about 7 until 1 or 2 fairly reliably (hope I haven't jinxed it!)
The reception is in a few weeks - theatre is in early Dec so he'll be a bit older.
Is this too young to leave with a sitter?
I guess it's just a matter of choice but be very interested to know what people think.
is the Sitters agency any good?
thank you in advance

fc79 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:10:03

Hello, I would say its up to you, if your happy leaving him. I am a nanny and have friends who started full time nanny jobs with a 3 month old baby so its no different really.

I would advise a nanny with lots of experience, first aid CRB etc then at least you know he's going to be well looked after.

Where abouts do you live? There might be someone on here that can help you.

theansweris42 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:12:15

hi
thanks for your post - yes I thought going with someone qualified might be better, I was having a look at the Sitters website.
I live in south east London.

nannynick Fri 11-Sep-09 20:29:03

I've babysat for babies as young as 3 days old, so wouldn't be a problem for me. When I babysat for the 3 day old, I was 18 or 19 years old... so had been babysitting for 3 or 4 years I suspect for older children.

I would suggest that given the young age, you should make sure you and your DS get to meet the person doing the childcare prior to the event.
I meet families before babysitting for the first time as I feel it helps to reassure parents that their DS/DD/children will be in safe hands, plus their DS/DD/children get to meet me during the day, so if they are asleep when I arrive for evening babysitting and they subsequently wake up, with luck they will recognise my face.
I would suggest trying to find a local childcarer near you, rather than using an agency, as then you and your DS can build up a relationship with that childcarer.
There are various lowcost websites offering parents and babysitters the opportunity to list themselves. FindaSitter, FindaBabysitter, MissMolly are just some of them. We also have a list of Mumsnetter Babysitters.

theansweris42 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:30:32

that's brill, thankyou

SingingBear Fri 11-Sep-09 20:37:05

Message withdrawn

theansweris42 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:42:22

thanks Singing Bear for the note about Sitters.
I think I will be able to do it (I have friends too who would not do so but it is just choice of course) if can be sure of expertise of sitter.

milknosugarplease Fri 11-Sep-09 20:47:15

Hi, dotnt know if this is of any help to you,
I live in north london (archway) and am currenlty working as a nanny for 3 lovely kids aged 9,7 and 4 motnhs, have been with them for over a year, i also have 5 years experiance of babysitting, nursery work with children between 15 weeks and 14 years.

please feel free to contact me at e _ l _ reed@hotmail.co.uk

hope you find someone if i cant be of any help

milk (emma)
x

SingingBear Fri 11-Sep-09 20:47:27

Message withdrawn

nannynick Fri 11-Sep-09 21:21:55

Or his level of experience - the agency could in theory send a male childcarer, though I do wonder how many are on their books!

The agency should match you as best as possible with the childcarers in your area who are available for the evening you book. That is why they charge a placement fee (in the case of Sitters - a membership fee plus a per-booking fee). If the agency didn't match you with a suitable sitter, you wouldn't use the agency again would you... thus the agency does it's best to find a suitable match.

SingingBear Fri 11-Sep-09 21:34:26

Message withdrawn

Tarenath Sat 12-Sep-09 07:08:53

Hi there,
I'm an Ofsted registered nanny who's currently working in SE London. I have two lovely charges, age 23 months and 4 years, who I look after full time but I am available for evening and weekend babysitting.
I also recently worked with a BF newborn (from birth!) supporting her mum postnatally including some sole charge/babysitting.
I am happy to provide references. If you would like some more information please feel free to contact me at tarenath_vakha@hotmail.com

Simplyme Sat 12-Sep-09 10:36:23

Hi there I have replied to your email x

Its when you are happy to leave them and would def choose someone with experience of young babies and qualifications.

could you express some milk just in case he should wake just so the babysitter has some.

I am a qualified childrens nurse and babysit in the east midlands, am currently night nannying twins who have just turned 7wks and in 2wks time will have them overnight whilst parents go away for a night.

theansweris42 Sat 12-Sep-09 20:19:27

hi
east midlands thanks for posting.
I should have said yes I have a freezer full of milk and will leave a bottle all ready just in case!

onemoretimetoday Sat 12-Sep-09 21:32:20

I used Sitters, the agency from when mine were both 4 months old and reliably sleeping from 8-12

theansweris42 Sun 13-Sep-09 19:33:59

hi onemoretime
so they must be OK then - thanks!

SuperDuperJezebel Mon 14-Sep-09 18:23:45

Hi theansweris42, think i have replied to your email as well, hopefully you got it - replied from my phone as i was away at the weekend, can be a bit rubbish at times!

NannyChels Tue 15-Sep-09 21:55:48

I haven't read everyone elses comments so I'm sorry If i have repeated anyone...

15 weeks is not too young at all... I am a Nanny who also works with babies from New Born and I have had people leave their babies with me from days old...

let me also say... please please please go for someone with experience over qualifications... Yes a peice of paper to say that they have completed a course is good... but in the scheme of things you really need someone who can put that theory into practice and will know what to do when your little one is crying for some milk!

Just some food for thought!

I'm also in South East London (as far out as you can get in Bromley) so if you ever need help finding a Sitter let me know... i have some very good friends who are also fantastic Nannies and willing to travel!

chels

theansweris42 Wed 16-Sep-09 13:36:18

Hi there NannyChels,
I defs do want someone experienced who won't be phased and who can confidently comfort DS if he wakes. I guess I was thinking that a qualification would mean they were in a job and so got the experience as well as having done some learnin' smile
thanks for your post and yes I might come back to you about finding a sitter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now