Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

anyone whos had a aupair/nanny =D

(23 Posts)
milknosugarplease Thu 10-Sep-09 21:27:09

hiya!

ok, i'm a nanny and have been working for the same family for just over a year, there a lovely family and im really lucky to be working for them.
in the time ive been there they have had a lovely little girl who is now 6mnths ols.
mum is going back to work soon, and is not looking forward to leaving her (not that she thinks i cant look after her she just doesnt want to leave any of the kids now shes been off!)

the eldest 2 are 9 and 7 so the time she spends with them is talking about school etc and they go to bed later then the baby so she can spend a little more time with them

she will be home and 6.30/7 and babys bedtime is 7/7.15

what i want to know is is there anything i can do to help her spend a wee bit more time with the baby in the evenings? or is there anything that your nanny/au pair couldve' done/did do to help you in this situation?

sorry its so long!
milk xxxxxxx

dinkystinky Thu 10-Sep-09 21:31:32

Maybe let the baby have a late afternoon nap so she's able to go to bed abit later than 7.15 - but that would impact on the time she gets to spend with the older kids so you should check with her about what she'd like to do. Something my nanny did which was lovely was make a photobook of DS1 in the first couple of months I was at work so I could see what he'd been up to - I really treasure it.

nbee84 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:59:32

What time will you finish work? If you are around until 7.30 she could have one to one time with the baby and give her her last feed and put her to bed while you are watching the older two.

MermaidSpam Thu 10-Sep-09 22:00:39

Milk - how sweet you are to want to help like this. This really touched me after a crappy day at work missing my dd.
(Agree with Dinky about the later nap).

HerBeatitude Thu 10-Sep-09 22:04:06

Does she work within travelling distance for you with the baby?

If so, if you're willing to do it, perhaps you could suggest taking the baby to meet her for lunch once a week. My x used to do this occasionally and it was lovely to come out and play in Golden Square for an hour in the middle of the working day...

milknosugarplease Thu 10-Sep-09 22:06:34

hiya thanks for your replies!

i generally finish when she comes home (i might stay extra 10 mins finishing last few bits washing etc or talking to her if i need to)

the baby sleeps from 12-2 ish, i need to leave at 2.45 to pick up the oldr 2 from school so putting her down later isnt really an option, she has a habit of dozing of in the bugggy but this doesnt seem to affect her night sleeping

the eldest 2 are pretty self sufficient, they can put themselves in the bath and get ready themselves etc, they (specially middle mindee age 7) has a tendancy to be very excitable with both mum and baby and very pushy and clingy, if the baby is at all distracted she doesnt feed properly resulting in waking up at night.

i would just really like to make this going back to work, easier for her, any ideas are appriciated!

tia
mulk xx

gruber Thu 10-Sep-09 22:07:39

If this fits in with your routine and what she wants, have the baby all bathed and ready for cuddles - can take the strain out of the evening for mum. Alternatively she might want the one on one time with the baby! Just something I find differs from family to family in my nanny roles.

milknosugarplease Thu 10-Sep-09 22:11:24

hi, sorrycrossed posts with last 2!

mermaidspam-love the name btw! sorry you had a rubbish day at work and hope you have a better day at work tomrrow! xxx

herbeatitude-unfortunatly she doesnt, if she is out from work then she might have a meeting nearby but not regularly, although i will see if its at all possible to see her at about 11am for 15 mins, travel is about 40 mins each way so would involve her sleeping in buggy, and she doesnt always get a break at work-she does but has to work through iygwim!

milk xx

mummydoc Thu 10-Sep-09 22:27:58

what a lovely nanny you must be. second the idea to have baby ready for bed for mum to enjoy cuddles etc when she gets home. i like myy dd 2 aged 4 ready for bed when i get home at 6;45 so i can then sit with her and chat, read watch charlie and lola and not have the ta/bath saga

hatwoman Thu 10-Sep-09 22:43:21

oh how lovely and thoughtful of you! try to find a time when you can sit down with the mum and talk through all these suggestions. she will be really touched at your thoughtfulness.

another idea - could you have the older two in their pjs and doing something when she gets home - homework? some craft? a longish game? (but nothing messy) so that when she arrives home they're ready for bed and also engrossed / distracted. then she can have some baby-time first and then time with the others when baby's in bed.

another thing - which I almost hesitate to say, because it could be too much for you, but is just fantastic to come home to...and that's food! do you ever cook things like spag bol for the older kids where it would realy be not much effort to cook enough for mum and dad as well. there's nothing like coming home to find tea on the hob...I loved it when my nanny did this.

MermaidSpam Thu 10-Sep-09 22:52:57

Milk - Thanks! (Name came from my Dad trying to say Man-made sperm!)

You have really restored a bit of my faith in humanity smile x x x

milknosugarplease Thu 10-Sep-09 22:58:31

again thnk you for your suggestions, she popped out this evening to do something for work so when she was out i bathed the baby (was alot of fun until she kicked and splashed all over me and my jeans looked liked i'd wet meself!) and had her ready for a quick feed when mum came home then bed, it was actually lovely just having a little cuddle with her whilst we waited for mum to get home!

its moments like that that i want her to enjoy aswel!!

now this is going to sound awful considering im a nanny but im not a GREAT cook, can do sausage and mash, spag bol etc that the kids like but i think i might feel a bit funny making food for her UNLESS (and this is where you all come in again!) you lot can give me some simple tasty recipies! shepards pie (mine always comes out like slop! kids love it not so sure about adults!) pasta sauces etc......dont hink im a terrible nanny for not being able to whip up great food!

am very very happy to cook for her but help!!

milk

xx

milknosugarplease Fri 11-Sep-09 14:26:38

just reread this and have one q...mermaidspam why was your dad tring to say mane made sperm>!

again, some rrecipies would be good and any more ideas on how to help!

milk xxx

BoffinMum Fri 11-Sep-09 15:46:15

Get the Dorling Kindersley children's cookbook which has lots of great recipes that you can even make with the kids, and shows you step by step in pictures how to do it all. That might start you off.

BoffinMum Fri 11-Sep-09 15:47:23

This one:

www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780751351217,00.html

milknosugarplease Fri 11-Sep-09 15:54:37

ooh thank you! that one looks really good!

god it sounds terrible to say a nanny cant cook doesnt it! *hides head in shame!!!!*

thank you again
milk x

mmrsceptic Fri 11-Sep-09 16:03:26

oh my lord you are a saint smile

as you were

BerylCole Fri 11-Sep-09 16:07:48

Our nanny is fabulous. I get in between 6-6.30 and my baby is usually ready for bed by 7-ish, but the time I have with her is %bliss. Our nanny has her fed and bathed and PJ-ed (as well as my older child) and all the toys tidied away and everything ship shape, so when i come in all I have to do is cuddle her, coo at her and snuggle her down to bed. It's my favourite hour of the day grin

milknosugarplease Fri 11-Sep-09 16:43:39

BERYLCOLE do you not feel like you would like to bathe baby etc?

after xmas her workload will increase aLOT so i would like to really comcentrate on these few months.
i want to help but not take over iygwim.

milk xxx

MermaidSpam Fri 11-Sep-09 22:35:14

Milk, there was a story a little while ago about some scientists at Newcastle University inventing man made sperm! Nothing sinister!!! Lol smile

milknosugarplease Fri 11-Sep-09 22:41:51

MermaidSpam, strangely disapointed!...though am now thinking about man made sperm-may have to google that! hope you had a better day at work today! xxxx

MermaidSpam Sat 12-Sep-09 14:46:04

Thanks Milk, was on my day off so sooooo much better than the previous day! x

BerylCole Sun 13-Sep-09 08:44:00

No, not really@milknosugarplease. I get to do it on weekends, and this is not my first baby, so I readily admit I feel quite relieved to have so much help with the 'donkey work' aspect of motherhood this time around (had no help first time around). I dont miss pureeing baby food or tidying away toys grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now