Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If you were a nanny or childcarer, which option do you think would be better or the one least likely to make the nanny think I was taking the piss?

(9 Posts)
Wotever Thu 10-Sep-09 15:14:19

Dh has just announced that he's going to be sent abroad for a month.

Currently, he does drop offs at school and we use an after school nanny who picks up from school and I get back by 7pm to take over (dh starts work late and finishes late). She also covers illnesses, holidays etc.

My work will be helpful and I'm sure I'll be able to work one day a week at home but that still leaves 4 days a week where I need to sort out the children getting dropped off at school and me working.

I have a 1hr 10 min door to door commute (with everything working) so if I drop off at school, I won't be at work till approx 10.15/10.30 and then need to leave at 5 to ensure I am home by 7 (can leave later but because I'm doing several legs of public transport, in general, anything after 5.30 means I start cutting it fine).

Long preamble....but I am thinking of asking the nanny to cover the mornings OR she could stay an hour later in the evening

She has said she would like to help in whatever way she can (and of course I will pay her for it) but I wanted to know, from others, what you think would be easiest because she's so helpful, I don't want her to feel I'm taking the piss if that makes sense.

(if it helps, she doesn't live near us - without traffic, it takes her about 20 mins to get to me but with traffic, 45 mins).

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 10-Sep-09 15:21:43

Surely staying later would be better for her, or she has to come out in the morning and in the evening?
Still, can you not just ask which she'd prefer?

Wotever Thu 10-Sep-09 15:23:52

yes, I will do that. Thing is, I would prefer her to cover the mornings but recognise that I think (like you) that this would be more disruptive so I don't want her to feel pressurised into doing something because I would prefer it (she's new and v keen to please!).

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 10-Sep-09 15:28:00

Hmm...does your DC's school not have a breakfast club? Or do you have any willing friends nearby doing the same school run?

Wotever Thu 10-Sep-09 15:33:08

yes, but not a breakfast club I can get them into for a short period of time (waiting list, then term by term - honestly, whoever invented flexible working forgot that flexible childcare is not that easy to arrange!).

I can probably muddle together the mornings and still be a bit late at work but not hideously late. I also don't want to have to lean on friends for 4 weeks because it's quite a long time.

It's just a pita and I'm feeling quite stressed about sorting everything out on my own (which is ridiculous I know!).

This is where I'd give my back teeth for a bit of family nearby who could help out. Next time my parents ask why all their children live in different countries and they are thousands of miles away, I might have to nod along sympathetically!

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 10-Sep-09 15:36:10

yes, I can see your problems.
So - it's 4 days and one day of each week you'll be working from home? Any chance you can take a couplle of mornings off too and then ask friends to help the rest of the time? Repaying the favours on your working from home and morning off days? Ask nanny to make up any shortfall?
Not sure if that'd work though, sorry.

limonchik Thu 10-Sep-09 15:37:26

If I was the nanny I would not drive up to 45 minutes in the morning to work for an hour and then go home again. An extra hour in the evening sounds much more practical.

nickschick Thu 10-Sep-09 15:42:14

Is there any chance you could ask around and ask if theres any Mum who might collect your dc and walk them to school - i know that everyone should be registered etc etc but perhaps a mum just for 4 weeks might be glad of a bit of extra money and it would help you out.

Wotever Thu 10-Sep-09 19:54:06

good idea nicks. Because I don't do the school run it's a bit tricky but I'll see if I can ask around. Thanks for all your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now