Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny problems

(18 Posts)
BubbleSqueak Wed 09-Sep-09 16:58:23

The nanny and us have departed company.... not on amicable terms (long story involving disciplinary).

We wrote to her asking for her to return our house keys which was a week ago now and we know she got the letter on the day we put it through her door to either drop them off or arrange for us to pick them up.

What do I do now? Wait it out? Change the locks and deduct her final monies?

Thoughts?

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 09-Sep-09 17:01:21

That might be the easiest answer, Bubble. Btw - if they are yale locks, you can just buy new lock barrels and keys, and you can fit the lock barrel yourself (or at least, dh can) - it is far cheaper than a new lock.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 09-Sep-09 17:04:04

I would send her another letter recorded delivery giving her 7 days to return the keys and saying that if it's not the cost will be deducted from the final payment.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 09-Sep-09 17:08:52

What LFC says but I wouldn't give her a week. How long does it take for goodness sake?

How long has it been since you asked for them back?

Laquitar Wed 09-Sep-09 17:12:17

Is your worry that she might use the key? If so, she could make a copy, no? I would change the lock.

Nancy10 Wed 09-Sep-09 17:17:33

I'd change the lock too! Just for piece of mind!

limonchik Wed 09-Sep-09 17:52:04

I think there are some legal rules about what you can and can't deduct money for though, so you might want to check that first.

dal21 Wed 09-Sep-09 17:55:26

Not worth the hassle IMO. Get the locks changed, its the only thing that will give you total peace of mind.

Laquitar Wed 09-Sep-09 17:55:46

But how can you deduct money if the employment has ended? Do you own her money?

EldonAve Wed 09-Sep-09 17:56:51

I would change the locks

BubbleSqueak Wed 09-Sep-09 19:39:08

Thx for all your comments.
Just got DH to change the locks tonight as we speak.

I just feel bearing in mind it's been a week now since we've asked for them back and for other property that belongs to us and she's been spotted driving around locally she should have returned them.

To me it's the principle of it more than anything of returning the property especially something so important as house keys.

But I guess that's why we've parted company... unreliability amongst other stuff.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 09-Sep-09 19:46:06

What property has she still got that is yours?

angrypixie Wed 09-Sep-09 20:03:47

I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago and changed locks. She's not called Mel is she???

BubbleSqueak Wed 09-Sep-09 20:10:05

angrypixie - no she's not called Mel.... we've tried to be amicable about it all and she's the one playing difficult. We owe her notice pay at the end of this month on her normal payday maybe she feels this is a way of ensuring I pay up?!!! Some kind of blackmail perhaps.

Tavvy Wed 09-Sep-09 22:15:40

Ragardless of how you parted terms this is a completely unacceptable way to behave however she feels you have treated her (speaking as a nanny)
It's totally unprofessional. Feel like apologising on her behalf, we are not all like this not that you'd believe it reading on the internet but there are some good eggs out there. Hope you get somebody else or an arrangement that works better for you

BubbleSqueak Wed 09-Sep-09 22:35:15

Thanks Tavvy for the kind words.

I feel betrayed tbh esp as I gave her some goodwill extra money and offered her to see the kids. She's completely forgotten them as well. No goodbyes, how are they or anything.

Interviewing someone tomorrow night hoping she's gonna be a good one, she sounds lovely. Unqualifed but I'm looking to help her get qualified cos it's in both our interests to do so. fingers x'd

Tavvy Thu 10-Sep-09 12:49:26

Fingers x'd

GreenBlack Thu 10-Sep-09 15:40:08

That sounds exactly like my old nanny too! Funny how it happens to so many people. Or maybe it's just the same one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now