Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mum dropped baby off with diarrhoea - help

(9 Posts)
leeloo1 Wed 09-Sep-09 08:41:05

They kept her off yesterday but said was 'loose' rather than diarrhoea, so brought her in today.

Just changed her and its like brown water!!! Pls reassure me that I'm within rights to get parents to collect her... I know it says it clearly in policies etc, but still feel bad as she shouldn't bring her tmrw either and thats a whole week (she comes 3 days pw)...

Also, my own baby is only 9 months, how do I stop him catching this?

rubyslippers Wed 09-Sep-09 08:42:07

call the mum straight away ...

it is in your policy

leeloo1 Wed 09-Sep-09 08:55:44

Mmmmm, thanks, I have called, they're deciding who'll collect her so it'll be at least an hour. What am I meant to do with howling contagious child in meantime? Am trying to give others breakfast and she only stops crying when held...

AvadaKedavra Wed 09-Sep-09 10:15:16

Poor mite.

Make sure they know you won't accept the child back for 24-48hrs after the LAST episode of D (depending on your policy, should be 48hrs)

leeloo1 Wed 09-Sep-09 11:29:27

Thanks all, I've let the parents know that I can't have her tmrw. I feel v bad though that they're paying me when I'm not working (altho not bad enough to give them a refundgrin).

Ripeberry Wed 09-Sep-09 11:35:59

Is it in their policy that they pay when THEIR child is ill? Then you should not give a refund, because if the child is ill, one of the parents will have to stay at home or the poor grandparent or relative will angry
This would be the same as in a nursery or a pre-school.
At least 48hrs after last runny bum!

netdaddy Wed 09-Sep-09 13:24:04

leeloo1,

the policy you have is to protect your children and yourself.

You may feel v bad that you have to implement your policy, but you would feel even worse if your child(ren) contracted diarrhoea.

And just imagine if you yourself fell ill, you would lose your income for quite a few days.

We provide childcare not nursing, and if a child is ill, the best place for him/her is with mum/dad.

Shoshe Wed 09-Sep-09 13:49:02

Be prepared as well for them to bring the child back 48 hours from you sending them home, NOT 48 hours from last bout of diarrhoea, which could be only a few hours before they come back.

I had one last Christmas, sent brothers back at the 48 hours, both threw up at the Christmas Party 2 hours later, when Mum finally arrived to pick them up, after being called, admitted they ahd been sick in the night! (She then took them to another Party in the afternoon!)

So reiterate it is 48 hours from LAST illness.

leeloo1 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:03:47

Thanks for the posts - I find it hard to get tough with people so nice to be reassured that I'm not in the wrong.

I spoke to the parents this evening and managed to hold firm when they said she'd been fine all day. Also, it now sounds like she definitely did have diarrhoea yesterday, which is not at all what they said when they dropped her off.

Its hard as of course I can see that they both need to work, but how much childcare do they think I'll be providing if me or my kiddies get sick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now