Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the going rate for a babysitter?

(14 Posts)
Psychobabble Mon 07-Sep-09 20:23:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

milknosugarplease Mon 07-Sep-09 20:41:09

dont know where you live, im on north london and charge £6 and hour so would be £9, 1 family paya dead on, another will round it up and another would pay me about £15

for an hour and a half and if there asleep say 10/12£
£15 if ya feeling generous

hth
milkxx

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 20:43:41

I pay our 16yo neighbour £5 if it is after bedtime (8pm) and £7.50 if it is not bedtime!

This is in Glasgow. Rates vary, depending on where you are.

isittooearlyforgin Mon 07-Sep-09 20:53:20

we pay £5 an hour to my cm daughter which i feel a bit weird about (not because i begrudge the money as is going rate ) but because we pay her mum less for looking after ds while awake! we are south of england and use a couple of neighbour's daughters plus a friend i used to work with and all seem happy with £5 per hour

Psychobabble Mon 07-Sep-09 21:00:00

Laquitar Mon 07-Sep-09 21:12:36

Is she doing a favour or she is a babysitter? If she is a babysitter then 4 hrs minimum pay should apply?

Psychobabble Mon 07-Sep-09 21:47:12

nannynick Mon 07-Sep-09 22:02:46

I charge a minimum of 3 hours but there is no reason at all why someone could not choose to purely get paid by the exact time they are there. I have a minimum charge so that I have a guarenteed amount per visit - if driving say 30 minutes to get to a families home, you need to consider fuel costs. With a neighbour, they don't have travelling costs.

Laquitar may mean that an agency charges 4 hours minimum... but your neighbour may be quite happy with a tenner for the 1.5 hours.

Laquitar Mon 07-Sep-09 22:03:01

4 hrs minimum pay is what most babysitters are paid so if you go out for 2 hrs you still pay 4 hrs.
But it seems like you dont need to pay this if she is a neighbour and doing favour.(you can perhaps round the pay to 2 hrs)

nannynick Mon 07-Sep-09 22:18:40

"4 hrs minimum pay is what most babysitters are paid" - you can't say that... you surely don't have the statistics to back it up.
A national evening childcare agency does a 4 hour minimum and it could well be that many independent babysitters copy them. It's also therefore a reason why some parents won't use that agency... why they prefer using independent babysitters - who can be cheaper.

Psychobabble - ask your neighbour what they are happy with... they may well be happy with £10.

cat64 Mon 07-Sep-09 22:34:15

Message withdrawn

Laquitar Mon 07-Sep-09 23:41:05

Cat and Nick, yes i did talk general in my first post. When OP replied saying that the sitter is a neigbour and doing a favour i did say that my previous post doesn't apply then.(i just explained about the 4 hrs because OP asked me). Cat, read my second post please.

Does she have any childcare qualifications or experience if both then would say around £15-£25 as she has no real travelling to do but equally if a regular babysitter who may have turned down longer bookings since need to make it worth her while,

if not experienced or qualified then £10-£20 max

Psychobabble Tue 08-Sep-09 21:34:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now