Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB Do any of you have a settling in period on your contract?

(5 Posts)
2anddone Mon 07-Sep-09 19:53:32

Hi on the nCMA contracts I always make sure any parents have the first two weeks care with me as a settling in period before the full contract starts. During this time both of us (myself and parent) understand that if for any reason anybody is unhappy or do not want to go on to the full contract at the end of the two weeks either of us can walk away no notice period etc. This has always worked really well and we have all gone on to start the full terms of the contract at the end of the two weeks, however I have had a new starter that has just started with me and I am starying to wonder whether to continue at the end of the two weeks. Mum is constantly late, didn't show up one day as had forgot hmm, mindee hasn't settled at all and is crying constantly for almost whole 10 hours which upsets other chldren. Two weeks are up at end of this week and we then discuss whether to continue with the contract I want to walk away but not sure whether I would have to give a reason or whether I can just say due to personal circumstances I will not be able to take up the full contract and end contract before it starts. Have been doing this long enough now to realise which parents I will be able to work with and not. wwyd?

HSMM Mon 07-Sep-09 20:12:29

That is exactly what the settling in period is for. I explain to parents that if it is not working out for any reason (ie my DD doesn't like their child, or vice versa) then we will end the contract immediately. I have a one month settling in period, so I get to know them a bit better before the final decision.

CantThinkofFunnyName Mon 07-Sep-09 20:16:43

I am a parent who has used childminders extensively (or I should say, one childminder for 9 years)! We had a settling in period and the CM made it quite clear to me at the beginning that it was for this reason. However, on the other side of the coin, it might be worth giving her a little notice - say one month - as otherwise she could be left thinking her child has a place on Monday when she miraculously needs to find alternative care arrangements. Food for thought?

Mousey84 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:17:04

I would just say that mindee isnt settling well and you think it would be in their best interests to find an alternative minder. The parent not turning up does ring alarm bells for me, so if you do take mindee on, make sure that you include that they must pay full amount for all booked sessions, with exception of holidays. And include late payment fees bit too, if you dont already.

Ripeberry Mon 07-Sep-09 20:19:43

I have a settling in contract as well and with parents/children I'm not sure about I offer a 28day short-term contract.
This is from NCMA and I expect payment monthly at the begining of each month anyway so they pay me in full for the 28days and it just means that if it does not work out then they don't have to give notice, neither do I.
I would still refund them the money for the time they did not use with me but at least I get paid for the time they used me for smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now