Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How would you split the costs on this nannyshare please?

(27 Posts)
Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 19:37:58

The nanny will be FT because we need her to be. 8.30am until 7pm 5 days. We have two kids, one 2 one school age. No school run needed from Nanny in the morning.

The share family only have one pre-school aged child, want afternoon care only 4 days a week.

In the shoes of the other family, what would your expectations be?

TIA.

limonchik Mon 07-Sep-09 19:48:38

Work out the hourly wage, and then split it 50/50 for the hours you share with the other family?

Or, work out the hourly wage for when she just has your children (e.g £10), add 20% for the shared hours (£12) and split that 50/50 between the two families (£6 each).

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 20:17:14

Yeah, I think you are right with the first idea. Hmmm, will have to figure out if that's affordable for us given we set out for a 50/50 split.

AtheneNoctua Mon 07-Sep-09 20:19:26

I would add 20% and divide by two (the latter of Limonchik's suggestions). But, also consider whose house she will be at (so who will incur wear and tear), who will provide food, who will provide basic utilities (heat, water, etc.), and so on.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 20:22:27

I did a share for 2 full time families and they split the cost down the middle and we would do a month at each house alternately.

There are 10 sessions, you want 10, then want five so you need to pay full whack for the mornings and half each for the afternoons. (I am sure you knew that though blush)

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 20:25:06

God, I know nothing Fab, no need to blush, that's why I posted smile

Is it an issue at all that I have 2 children an she has one? Does that affect the cash split?

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 20:27:12

Also, we'd probably prefer to host, so I see hosting as a bonus, not wear and tear etc. I think it's more of a pain to have to pack your child up every morning and have your kids not be in their own home. Is that just me?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 20:41:43

If you are hosting they should pay towards food.

You need to sort out what happens if a child is ill too.

nbee84 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:52:27

How have you worked out rates per hour - will she be on one rate per hour whilst she only has your children and an enhanced rate when she has both families children?

frakkinpannikin Mon 07-Sep-09 21:02:22

Not an issue about the number of children - nannies charge per hour not per child IYSWIM.

I agree nanny should get an enhanced rate for when she's being shared. She will have 2 seets of bosses to keep happy in those hours after all!

You also need to make sure that you talk regularly to the other parents in the share to ensure that you're all on the same page re: discipline, food, routine, activities, etc and not just use the nanny as a go-between.

Finally make sure you split the gross wage and not the net wage so any additional tax/NI burden is also shared.

Laquitar Mon 07-Sep-09 21:04:55

So it is not nannyshare in the mornings is it? How much she gets paid?

Laquitar Mon 07-Sep-09 21:06:03

0ops sorry xpost with nbee

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 21:21:32

It's all premature. We don't even have the nanny yet. I'm just trying to figure out in advance of it possibly all working out, what the other families expectations might be.

I have nanny shared before but it was a clear, straight 50/50 split. We both had 2.5 days care, both families had one child, they hosted on the shared day (Weds) as had a bigger home, garden etc. Didn't occur to us to offer them money for this and they didn't ask - it was a pain in the arse getting DD across town every morning before work lol!

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 21:22:03

Last time we had a nanny we didn't do hourly rate, we just agreed an annual salary.

navyeyelasH Mon 07-Sep-09 21:34:52

To be brutally honest, I am a nanny who works in a nanny share and I love it. But only because the parents are completely 50/50 with everything.

Given the difference in hours with the other family and the variation in numbers of children (ie. in school hols when nanny has all three children would you pay 2/3rds of cost and other family pay 1/3rd?; if you do it 50/50 wont the other family be resentful?) I would keep looking for a more similar family.

For eg how would you feel if the other family kept turning up early on your solely paid time? It can be quite complex in my share with holidays and sickmness and that is with the mums being best mates, each only having 1 child and using me for the exact same hours. So I'd imagine any variation on 50/50 spilt is quite stressful?

Where do you live maybe someone could help you find a sharer?

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 21:40:28

Thanks Navy - I love brutal honesty grin

No, with the other family it was 50/50 as that situation was totally different, but that was 3.5 years ago.

With this set up, I have thought, like you, 2/3 to 1/3 would seem right, but seems more complicated if you base it on a nanny's hourly rate, rather than annual income, iyswim.

Tbh, if the other family kept turning up early (more than an hour) I'd just suggest we incorporate that hour into the shared portion.

But I'm quite a relaxed person. DS would be asleep anyway when they wanted their childcare to start.

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 07-Sep-09 21:41:50

I have posted on nannyshare.co.uk to try and find another family.

Am in West London.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 08:16:51

I am not sure it will work.

If they or nanny won't be able to take your child on a full day out as would have to back to meet the other child.

I have done 3 shares and they all had things that worked well, and things that really didn't.

Sycamoretreeisvile Tue 08-Sep-09 20:05:36

Fab, you may be right. But DS is only just two so we don't do full days out in any case - he still needs to nap over lunchtime and I am a bit of a stickler for that happening in a good quality sleep way in his own bed. Other child is also only just two.

Nanny needs to be home in good time to pick up DD from school at 3 ish as well.

Obviously, I'd much rather find a family that needs FT 5 days a week care, but I'm worried about running out of time.

<sigh>

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 09-Sep-09 08:06:56

Have you put an ad in The Lady?

Do you need to share because of the costs?

Sycamoretreeisvile Wed 09-Sep-09 11:10:59

Yes, we can't afford a nanny on our own.

It's the only kind of childcare that can work for our family, so I have to find a family, and soon!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 09-Sep-09 12:26:24

Have you tried an ad on here?

Sycamoretreeisvile Wed 09-Sep-09 20:25:53

Yes, no joy...AT ALL! Not even one post sad.

Have decided to start looking for a nanny myself and will have to swallow the costs until we can find a family with same requirements to jump in and share.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 09-Sep-09 20:41:53

Good luck.

Sycamoretreeisvile Wed 09-Sep-09 21:04:04

Thanks Fab.
Hope you're doing ok btw smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now