Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs doing school run at 2 schools

(9 Posts)
katalex Mon 07-Sep-09 11:20:34

Is it common for childminders to pick up from more than one school? Are the children who have to wait ok with this or do they find it upsetting? I've phoned the 25 closest cms to us and only found 2 that go to dd's school. The problem is that they both go to other schools first. The first one changed her mind and said that she wouldn't take dd but the other one said she would do it if the school kept hold of her for 15 minutes. Even if the school agreed to this I don't really like the idea of dd having to wait for someone after all the other children have gone home (she's only 4) but I'm running out of options. I'm ok for a while because my sister is able to help out but she's moving out of the area soon.

HSMM Mon 07-Sep-09 13:15:32

I did this for a while. It is a nightmare if the first school is out late, or the teacher wants to talk, or something. The second school I picked up from had a story time at the end of the day for all the children who had to wait for their siblings to be collected first - is this the same at yours? Personally ... I wouldn't do it again, because it was all too stressful and rushed.

danthe4th Mon 07-Sep-09 13:24:16

I wouldn't do it unless the schools let out at different times as its too much of a worry thinking about a child waiting. I would speak to the school they may have an idea, some schools are happy for children to go to the secretarys office till picked up.All schools should have some idea of after school care they can offer.

katalex Mon 07-Sep-09 14:29:21

Thanks for your replies. The schools finish at the same time. I'm going to speak someone in the office tomorrow (dd's first day) to see what they do in this situation. Unfortunately they won't have any provision for breakfast/after school club until October 2010.

I spoke to some more childminders today. One of them has offered to ask around at her group meeting on Wednesday to see if she can find anyone who goes to dd's school. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Booh Mon 07-Sep-09 14:33:10

Katalex where abouts are you can you put a vague idea as one of us maybe able to help!

katalex Mon 07-Sep-09 16:48:26

Hi Booh. I'm in Northfleet in Kent.

Ripeberry Mon 07-Sep-09 17:46:07

I'm a CM and in between two schools (only 2 miles apart) but they both come out at the same time and I have to give priority to my DDs school.
But most enquiries have been from the other school....what a pain!

gingernutlover Mon 07-Sep-09 18:04:23

apart from the child being upset, this arrangement is pretty unfair on the school if it is a full time permanent situation.

It would be very important to have someone at the school agree to give up their free time everyday before you make this arrangement. Some schools have an arrangement where there is someone ingthe office evry afternoon til 4pm (eg secretary) but others don't.

katalex Wed 09-Sep-09 13:36:34

Thanks guys. I spoke to a cm who is going to ask around her colleagues at a group meeting today and pass my number on to anyone who can help me (fingers crossed). When I asked the school about after school care they told me about a local childminder. I phoned her and arranged a visit but I found out that she's no longer registered. I phoned the local Children's Information Services who have given me the name of the local co-ordinator who may be able to help me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now