Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding a child with Autism.

(5 Posts)
navyeyelasH Sun 06-Sep-09 19:20:51

Hi all, as some may know I'm changing from being a nanny to being a CMer.

One of the children I nanny for will be coming across to CMing and he is Autistic. Is there any additional paperwork I need to consider for him does anyone know?


littlestarschildminding Sun 06-Sep-09 19:47:43

You may need to do an additional risk assesment IF (I know not usually the case) he is likely to pose a risk to any of the other minded children or if he is a danger to himself in any needs more support crossing roads.I guess it depends on the severity and symptoms of his autism.

Also of he is receiving additional support (language etc) then you may need to liase with them.

I think thats probably allsmile

Shoshe Sun 06-Sep-09 20:01:12

I have a little Autistic boy, I dont have any additional paperwork as such, but do have to make sure I risk assess intently, because he will run if he can, also have to be aware that if we go to places that are to crowded or echoey he cannot cope with it, so we do tend to avoid those sort of places when he is with us.

Also things like not being in the car for to long, as he dosnt like to be confined for to long.

As for additional help, my little lad had only just been disgnoised and is under 2, so there is no help!.

I do find that it is hard to go places with him without help as he does take some watching and the other two under 2's I have can be left out, so I do tend to go places with other CM's to help.

He is actually leaving as Mum has lost her job, but will go to a creche where they can get help for him.

navyeyelasH Sun 06-Sep-09 21:17:08

Brill, his mum was saying the nursery he goes to does something for him (epi's, maybe?) so just wanted to check I wasn't meant to do any additional paperwork.

He is nealry 4 and understands most things; he has quite a lot of support and follows a very specific programme, ABA/VB with help from OT's and various tutors. His parents are brilliant amazing people and they are tireless in helping him get the most from life.

On a related note is it possible to get some sort of help with the cost of toys specifically for children with additional needs?

danthe4th Sun 06-Sep-09 23:06:01

You may be able to access capital funding but this really depends on your local council and whether you meet the criteria,I would speak to your development officer.Also have a look at your local toy library and ask at the childrens centre they should be able to help you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: