Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible to be a short term nanny? 3 months-ish?

(9 Posts)
daisymaybe Sat 05-Sep-09 22:03:39

I'm going to advertise but not even sure it's worth the 70p for the newsagent's window...

I've decided to take a year out before embarking on a primary PGCE and am going to Australia and the USA (yay!) BUT i have a gap in between these two travels (going with different friends etc etc) from January to April. Would anyone ever take me on for that short a period?? I have experience and am willing to be totally flexible, anything upwards of 16h pw.

Also, I may have an amazing Ozzie accent by that point. Probably not, but you never know...

nannynick Sat 05-Sep-09 22:27:23

Never know you may get lucky. If you need the income, then also register with a nursery temping agency now, so you can tell them when you are back from your first trip and see if they can find you work for a few days each week.

daisymaybe Sat 05-Sep-09 22:29:50

Is that usually expensive? Could you recommend any? I'm London based. I've always just got jobs through word of mouth before, the school playground is my PR manager. But I can see that this is a bit more tricky.

nannynick Sat 05-Sep-09 22:36:59

It does not cost to join an agency... employment agencies are not permitted by law to charge job applicants.
Temp nursery work doesn't pay that well - I used to get 8 gross per hour but it helps to fill in gaps in nannying work.
Tinies will have London based branches... have done nursery work via them in the past, but in the Berkshire/Surrey area.
Nursery temp agencies I suspect will want you to be level 3 qualified... as then you can be room leader if necessary.

daisymaybe Sat 05-Sep-09 22:39:40

Thank you very much, I'll look into those.

tulpe Sun 06-Sep-09 00:56:14

Why not advertise on Gum Tree or search for vacancies on there?

Last year, we needed a nanny for just 3 months (due to a back injury I suffered....am an SAHM). I tried agencies but, tbh, what they were going to charge me for placement fees was extortionate, imo.

Gum Tree was my next port of call. I found a fab nanny who continues to care for DCs on an ad-hoc basis and of whom my DCs are very fond. So it could work in your favour to find a family who wants just a short term post because you may find yourself with longer term work when you return from your travels

frakkinpannikin Sun 06-Sep-09 21:24:02

What about au pairing in a european country? A bit more travelling and you can improve a language, which will help as you'll need to teach a language in KS2. I recommend French or Spanish.

Pay isn't great but you'll almost certainly be able to find a short term placement.

daisymaybe Mon 07-Sep-09 09:24:05

I'll head over to Gum Tree now...

I find the idea of au-pairing really scary - since I'll need the money to continue travelling I wouldn't be able to walk away if it was really dire. Plus I'll need a bit of time in the country to get things like funding sorted. And see my mum.

Thanks guys, lots of ideas to get on with...

sleepwhenidie Thu 17-Sep-09 14:19:11

Hi Daisy - I am looking for someone (live out) in NW1 - where are you in London and what is your availability between now and Jan? I have a DS(4) and DD(15m) and am expecting a new baby in January, so I would need someone to start properly then but would like to come to some kind of part time arrangement between now and then so we can all get to know each other and how our house operates before the baby bombshell arrives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now