Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I approach this with our nanny?

(8 Posts)
IlanaK Fri 04-Sep-09 16:18:09

I have a new nanny (not had one before) that comes to part days a week. She is lovely, I like her, the kids like her. It was really hard to find a nanny to do the days I wanted as it is only 8 hours per week. And also as I am actually working from home while she is here.

However, she does not clear up after herself and the kids very well. When I interviewed her, I did sort of explain that while I don't mind mess when activities are being done, I like them cleared up afterwards.

Today as an example, they did playdough with the boys and there are bits of playdough all over the floor. I think she did sweep up, but not well. There are bits all over the table too. I was picking up toys from their floor after she left and I found coffee marks on the floor. She must have had a coffee while sitting playing with them. I have laminate floors so easily wipeable - no damage done, but I don't want to have to clear up after her. Same with lunch today. SHe put stuff in the dishwasher after but she did not wipe up crumbs from the counter.

So, do I just accept this is how she is or do I say something? I don't want to put her off as she really is nice and I am loving being able to shut myself away in a room and work without the kids bothering me.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 04-Sep-09 16:22:53

a good nanny should tidy up after herself

there is no reason why they cant/dont - just bad manners imho

i leave my work house tidy and expect it tidy the next day

maybe her tidyness isnt at the same level at yours (i know mine and db's isnt wink) so maybe just mention that you like floors swept/counters/table wiped at end of day etc

imamumof3 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:39:19

Well at the end of the day you are paying her for doing these things, so you have to tell her if she is not doing it to your standard. If I was to clear away after a nanny, what is the point in having one in the first place. She can't get offended or upset over the truth.

nigglewiggle Fri 04-Sep-09 16:43:40

Why don't you give her the feedback that you've given here. Tell her how pleased you are with how she's getting on and how well she's settled in and just mention that there's one tiny thing you'd like to change.

I'm sure she's keen to know how she's getting on.

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Fri 04-Sep-09 16:44:45

Nothing worse than a boss who doesn't like to say anything but gradually accrues resentment

tell her clearly and pleasantly what you've told us in your OP

limonchik Fri 04-Sep-09 16:47:54

If you feel awkward about it being confrontational or offending her, could you frame it as you having really high standards rather than her having low standards? Could be something like "sorry to be a pain, I know I'm really fussy about everything being clean and tidy, but could you make sure you wipe all the surfaces and give the floor a really good sweep?". Criticism is also a lot easier to take if you throw in some praise about all the things she does well too.

IlanaK Fri 04-Sep-09 17:05:27

Excellent responses from you all - thanks.

I most definately am fussy about floors in particular. We have laminate throughout so that it is easy to clean. I thought I had made that clear when I interviewed her, but maybe not. I will definately phrase it as my issue and not hers, but ask her to try harder.

While you were all responding, I was off hoovering and sweeping the floors - something I would do anyway, but I might not have done today rather than tomorow except for the "mess" she left. I found coffee spills on the kitchen floor too.

frakkinpannikin Sun 06-Sep-09 21:36:24

There is tidy, there's tidy and there's tidy.

I suspect you are of the latter persuasion. As a nanny naturally inclined to the first type I can bump myself up to the second at work (but my room is and always will be a tip so I dislike living in!) but I can't work with families of the third sort. I didn't realise this until I did a trial with a family where the mother was very particular (even more so than you), so much so that I felt I couldn't do anything with the children for fear of causing mess that she may see. There are definitely levels of tidiness and you need to let your nanny know now what you expect with demonstrations if necessary as saying 'I am a tidy person' doesn't always come across at interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now