Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pairs and visitors...

(7 Posts)
madcows Fri 04-Sep-09 14:54:23

Hi all,
Our first au pair arrives this weekend, and so we're just getting things all organised. She has just emailed asking (amongst other things) if her parents would be able to visit in October, and saying that some of her friends were hoping to visit too (presumably at different times).
I'm generally happy for her to have visitors and do her own thing at weekends (when she isn't working) - but was thinking of the odd friend. Also, we don't have a lot of room. We no longer have a spare room (as she is in that!), and although we have put a bed in the (small) study, we use that a lot as a study.

So - what do people do about visitors? Do you suggest they stay in B&Bs, or is that too unfriendly?
Any tips welcomed!
madcows

Claire2301 Fri 04-Sep-09 15:03:52

Hi,

When I was an au pair my parent's always stayed in a B & B or hotel nearby.

In your position I would email back saying "that's no problem, I've added some links below for local B & B's or hotels to help your friends/parents when they are having a look"

Then maybe add something about if the visitors will interupt with daily routine then she would need to look at taking holiday.

Hope that helps

HarrietTheSpy Fri 04-Sep-09 15:22:33

Our au pair arrives in September. If asked this same question I am planning to do exactly as Claire advises!!!!

DadInsteadofMum Fri 04-Sep-09 16:33:38

When family of previous AP visited they were all in nearby B&B with AP sister staying in here room. Various other visitors at weekends - we do say no visitors in first 6 weeks whilst settling in.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 04-Sep-09 16:35:36

I would make it clear what you are happy with, what will happen with visitors while she is working, and also that you have no room for putting them up but you will help with B&B locations.

Millarkie Fri 04-Sep-09 17:45:16

We have allowed our au pair to have visitors to stay at our house, but we have room (room for a single mattress on floor of au pair room and a seperate spare room too). Our first au pair had her boyfriend stay twice and her mum once (all long weekends). She was great, did her 'work' around the visitors, took them out for dinners and cleaned up (washed bed linen etc) when they went.
Second au pair took advantage and had both her sisters, her mum, her best friend and her boyfriend come to stay (over a 5 month period) - mainly for 5 days each. Except for the boyfriend they ate our food (taking packed lunches for day trips), didn't fit round our schedule so not all her work was done, didn't even say 'hello' to us in some cases, let alone thank us for putting them up, left me to deal with dirty sheets etc.
So.... Yeah - recommend a bed and breakfast unless you get to really like and trust au pair in which case maybe you might feel up to letting them borrow the bed in the study for a visitor or two..but def. start strict and compromise only after you get to know them.

PixiNanny Fri 04-Sep-09 17:52:33

I'm in an AP position and my bosses don't mind me having visitors, my boyfriend stayed once or twice a month before from Dec-March, came down for the day last week (just got back from working in France) and will be staying next week as well. Had my best mate come to stay one weekend and my sister and her bf as well and my parents will be staying shortly before I leave in Dec too (mainly to take my stuff home for me though!). They're quite happy about it, I sort out the linen and beds (I have a sofa bed in the other half of my two mini-rooms) and tend to buy my own food for us all!

Only my bf has stayed during working hours though, and I do my normal duties whilst he's here and get him to help! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now