Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny just told me she is pg- what should i be doing or thinking about?

(8 Posts)
nowwearefour Fri 04-Sep-09 14:51:39

apart from congratulating her of course. delighted for her. but i still need to think about what it means a) as her employer until she goes on mat leave (in terms of what she is going with dds- 2 and 4, anything i need to think about around the house etc) b) paying her mat leave money (can i claim it back etc) and c) finding a replacement for the time she is on mat leave. anyone any experience they can offer? she works one day a week for us and dd1 just starting school (first day today). she is due in march.

limonchik Fri 04-Sep-09 15:02:14

There is info here about your nanny's rights while she is pregnant and during maternity leave. As far as I know, you can claim maternity pay back, though I don't know how.

nowwearefour Fri 04-Sep-09 15:04:21

thanks limonchik. has this happened to anyone personally? that is a really helpful link- will be showing it to dh later!

MrsGladpuss Fri 04-Sep-09 15:11:24

This is for employees but is really useful for employers heath and safety executive guide and here is a template for a risk asessment you can download with links to lots of other useful templates.

As a bare minimum you should do a risk assessment.

nowwearefour Fri 04-Sep-09 15:23:54

Yes I will do a risk assessment. Thanks. looks like a great site gladpuss and have registered but having some probs downloading the template....

nannynick Fri 04-Sep-09 18:30:12

HMRC: Funding for Statutory Pay - Information about getting the SMP paid to you ahead of time.
HMRC: SMP Overview - General info about SMP. Looks like you can recover 104.5% of the cost.

nowwearefour Sun 13-Sep-09 15:52:55

wow. thanks Nannynick- i guess we still have to pay employers' NIC which explains the 104.5% thing. hugely helpful as always. thanks.

doggus Sun 13-Sep-09 21:32:14

Our lovely nanny (full time) has been on mat leave for three weeks now. She left at 38 weeks, and had a little girl at 41 weeks. We went to an agency and found a replacement nanny for six months while she is off (the replacement nanny is luckily, fab, too). When she comes back she will only be doing three days and so our replacement nanny will be doing the other two days.

Luckily our original nanny lives nearby and we are taking ds to see her and the baby every two weeks or so, in case he forgets her (though ds is pretty devoted to her so probably won't). I would recommend that your replacement nanny spends at least a week shadowing your preg nanny (doesn't have to be full time) as then your children will find the change over a bit easier.

We are self employed so can't help you on the financial side as our accountant does it.

Ask away if you want to know more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now