Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When you're choosing a childminder, do you take your dc with you on your first visit?

(9 Posts)
HeadFairy Thu 03-Sep-09 21:55:46

Or do you go alone first, then if you like them come back with your dc to see how they react?

Any top tips for choosing a childminder would be gratefully received...

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 03-Sep-09 21:57:27

Yes Id take the dc on first visit

mosschops30 Thu 03-Sep-09 21:59:18

yes absolutely, it was the childmionders behaviour with or around my chil which ultimately made my decision, had ds not been there I wouldnt have been aware of any problems

Ripeberry Thu 03-Sep-09 22:05:11

I'm a CM and I prefer parents to come with their child as it's a two way thing and I like to get to know the children.
A good CM would ask you how old your child was and then have some toys ready for when you visit.
I find it's best to visit twice, once to meet each other and to have an informal chat and look around and take away some information.
And the second time to sit down and discuss contracts and sign if you want to go ahead.
For very nervous parents who may be using CM for the first time I offer a 28day contract so they can have a 'trial run' without having a cancelation clause.
Most CM would want a deposit upfront and this would be one month's fees.
But again, every CM is different so try and visit at least 2 or 3 of them.
Good luck with your search (smile)

danthe4th Thu 03-Sep-09 22:07:17

As a childminder I would think it was a bit odd if you came without the child, I would want to meet the child as well and would wonder if there was perhaps an issue I need to be aware of. We all need to be able to work together so the sooner we all meet the better.

HeadFairy Thu 03-Sep-09 22:10:04

Lovely, thanks for that. I thought that might be the case but dh thought we should sound them out first then go back if we get good vibes, but I don't think you can really decide if the vibes are good without your dc being there.

spicemonster Thu 03-Sep-09 22:44:47

It's all about how they interact with your DC - what you think of them is really pretty irrelevant. I went to see 4 CMs on the same day and I'd already made up my mind before going which one I was going to choose. The visits turned that decision on its head and I chose a woman who really didn't sound that promising on the phone but who totally 'got' my DS. A year or so on and we're still going strong

HSMM Fri 04-Sep-09 08:13:34

I am a CM and sometimes people do come for their first visit without their DC. I prefer it if the children come, because then the parents and I can get to know each other, I can see if I think I will gel with the child and most importantly by DD can see if she will gel with the child (no problems there yet - not sure what I'd do if she said she didn't like them).

raindroprhyme Fri 04-Sep-09 21:14:54

i would take my dc as the first impression of her interacting with my kids is more important than my first impression of her as an individual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now