Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do you give notice?

(16 Posts)
LaurenD Thu 03-Sep-09 21:18:11

Ok, firstly I feel absolutely awful about this but really don't have any other option!
I am a CM and currently have two part-timers (one full day and one for 5 hours over two days) and a school run HOWEVER I have had a request for a full-time place - I simply cannot afford to turn this request down so my question is how do I give notice to the parents of the children I already mind? I want to do it in the most professional and thoughtful way as I have become very close to both the children and the parents (sob!)
Any advice/tips? Thanks all x
p.s. should have added that I have two little ones of my own so one full-time place will take me to max ratio wise.

dmo Thu 03-Sep-09 22:14:05

very tough can you not wait for more part timers? i find lots of part timers better becuase:
a) if they leave you wont lose a lot of money per wk
b) varity of children (some days better than others)
c) some free time/quite parts of the day

danthe4th Fri 04-Sep-09 14:47:41

I wouldn't do it, it gives you a bad name, prepare to be slated for it by the other parents and they will tell everyone.Can you not get a variation for one extra.

HarrietTheSpy Fri 04-Sep-09 15:01:18

Hmmm...DD1s nursery had a clause in the TOB which stated that full time children could be prioritised over part time, i.e. they reserved the right to give notice on these grounds. At the time I was a bit hmm but at least they were transparent about it. You should do this too, if you're prepared to do the same. Otherwise, as dan says, prepare for some very angry parents and possible negative feedback. I wouldn't touch a CM with a barge poll who I knew had done this.

littlestarschildminding Fri 04-Sep-09 15:01:29

I would try to get a variation provided you think you can manage them all.

I am in the group who thinks sometimes you do need to give notice to part time places to get a full timer in. You are after all trying to run a business. Just be very careful how you do it.

southernbelle77 Fri 04-Sep-09 15:59:11

You could talk to the parent/s and say that unfortunately, due to the economic climite, it is no longer viable for you to work such little hours and that you understand it will be hard for their family and it hasn't been an easy decision for you, but sadly you will have to give xxx notice as per the contract.

It is a hard thing to do, but sadly, sometimes circumstances mean that you do need to do things which you wouldn't normally choose to do. Waiting for more part timers is a possibilty, but you could be waiting for a long time. It could, as others have said, mean parents bad mouthing your business which could harm it in the long run. But you have to do what is best for you and your family as well as thinking about those you care for.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 04-Sep-09 16:05:19

There was a thread a few days about someone who did this and it wasn't nice.

Could you offer the current parents more hours?

Have you worked out exactly how much more money you will earn if you take this full time mindee - after expenses?

LaurenD Fri 04-Sep-09 17:38:07

Thanks all for your honest responses!!! Thankfully, I seem to have resolved the problem withou having to let snyone go which I am over the moon about! I met with the new mum today and she has decided that she would only like three days (two days at nursery) and a friend of mine (who is also a CM) has offered to work with me for a couple of hours when I will be over my ratio - problem solved - woo hoo!

(HarrietTheSpy - just for the record I did warn both of my exisitng mindees parents before we signed contracts that there was a possibility that this situation would arise but I would always give them the option of increasing there hours)

HarrietTheSpy Sat 05-Sep-09 07:46:35

That's fine then really. If you've done that at least they are prepared for the possibility and they can decide for themselves if it's worth the risk. It's good you were upfront.

HarrietTheSpy Sat 05-Sep-09 07:46:58

And it's great a solution worked itself out.

AvadaKedavra Sat 05-Sep-09 08:41:36

Do you not need to go through Ofsted and have this other CM on your certificate as an Assistant etc? I don't think you can suddenly decide to work together and not have any checks/forms in place..

As for giving notice, I would offer them the extra hours, if they didn't wnat them ( and surely they wouldn't otherwise they'd be doing them anyway!) then I would explain the situation and give notice.
I have done it in the past and the parents understood completely, they are small business people too. They even came back to me a year later! Not every parent has the attitudes of the above ^.

dizzydixies Sat 05-Sep-09 08:45:57

Aveda would it matter if the other CM was looking after her children whilst she watched her mindees? Surely that would just be a friend of hers round babysitting whilst she was working?

OP glad it worked out so well for you smile

AvadaKedavra Sat 05-Sep-09 08:54:36

nope, doesn't matter, your own children count in your numbers even if they are at nursery/school so no that wouldn't apply.

OP you need to look into getting a variation, getting a Registered Assistant ( and even then it's only depending on space that you can take more mindees) or giving notice.

dizzydixies Sat 05-Sep-09 08:56:06

ah, a friend of mine who is a CM who has 2 of her own takes in kids looking after them and if she is over her mum/sister pops round to look after her 2 - I thought it sorted it all out that way. never mind, she's not my CM!

AvadaKedavra Sat 05-Sep-09 08:57:21

shock

dizzydixies Sat 05-Sep-09 09:02:21

to be fair it happened when I asked her to take DD3 on very short notice as a favour as I'd been called into a course. She had her for 3hrs, it put her over her numbers so she asked her sister to come round and watch her 2. Her eldest is now at school and her youngest has her funded nursery place so I doubt very much it happened on a regular basis

I just though it would be a solution for the OP but have no idea what am talking about obviously!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now