Ok, firstly I feel absolutely awful about this but really don't have any other option! I am a CM and currently have two part-timers (one full day and one for 5 hours over two days) and a school run HOWEVER I have had a request for a full-time place - I simply cannot afford to turn this request down so my question is how do I give notice to the parents of the children I already mind? I want to do it in the most professional and thoughtful way as I have become very close to both the children and the parents (sob!) Any advice/tips? Thanks all x p.s. should have added that I have two little ones of my own so one full-time place will take me to max ratio wise.
very tough can you not wait for more part timers? i find lots of part timers better becuase: a) if they leave you wont lose a lot of money per wk b) varity of children (some days better than others) c) some free time/quite parts of the day
Hmmm...DD1s nursery had a clause in the TOB which stated that full time children could be prioritised over part time, i.e. they reserved the right to give notice on these grounds. At the time I was a bit but at least they were transparent about it. You should do this too, if you're prepared to do the same. Otherwise, as dan says, prepare for some very angry parents and possible negative feedback. I wouldn't touch a CM with a barge poll who I knew had done this.
You could talk to the parent/s and say that unfortunately, due to the economic climite, it is no longer viable for you to work such little hours and that you understand it will be hard for their family and it hasn't been an easy decision for you, but sadly you will have to give xxx notice as per the contract.
It is a hard thing to do, but sadly, sometimes circumstances mean that you do need to do things which you wouldn't normally choose to do. Waiting for more part timers is a possibilty, but you could be waiting for a long time. It could, as others have said, mean parents bad mouthing your business which could harm it in the long run. But you have to do what is best for you and your family as well as thinking about those you care for.
Thanks all for your honest responses!!! Thankfully, I seem to have resolved the problem withou having to let snyone go which I am over the moon about! I met with the new mum today and she has decided that she would only like three days (two days at nursery) and a friend of mine (who is also a CM) has offered to work with me for a couple of hours when I will be over my ratio - problem solved - woo hoo!
(HarrietTheSpy - just for the record I did warn both of my exisitng mindees parents before we signed contracts that there was a possibility that this situation would arise but I would always give them the option of increasing there hours)
Do you not need to go through Ofsted and have this other CM on your certificate as an Assistant etc? I don't think you can suddenly decide to work together and not have any checks/forms in place..
As for giving notice, I would offer them the extra hours, if they didn't wnat them ( and surely they wouldn't otherwise they'd be doing them anyway!) then I would explain the situation and give notice. I have done it in the past and the parents understood completely, they are small business people too. They even came back to me a year later! Not every parent has the attitudes of the above ^.
ah, a friend of mine who is a CM who has 2 of her own takes in kids looking after them and if she is over her mum/sister pops round to look after her 2 - I thought it sorted it all out that way. never mind, she's not my CM!
to be fair it happened when I asked her to take DD3 on very short notice as a favour as I'd been called into a course. She had her for 3hrs, it put her over her numbers so she asked her sister to come round and watch her 2. Her eldest is now at school and her youngest has her funded nursery place so I doubt very much it happened on a regular basis
I just though it would be a solution for the OP but have no idea what am talking about obviously!!