Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

live out nanny - how much?

(14 Posts)
boodleboot Wed 02-Sep-09 16:53:32

hi

can you give me some ideas of how much a live out nanny would cost in the bexley area of kent for four days a week 8.30-5.30?

thanks xx

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 17:29:08

9 hours a day, 4 days a week so 36 hours a week. I'd say £16k to £25k per year including Employers National Insurance - based on offering the nanny £8 to £12 gross per hour.
Excludes many non-direct salary costs such as: Activities kitty, fuel allowance, payroll administration charge, heating/lighting/food.

boodleboot Wed 02-Sep-09 17:37:26

crikey. that sounds a lot....i am so naive about how much things like this cost. i know its forty ish pounds a day for a nursery place but was hoping to get for that price a nanny to take eldest two to school at 8.40, have baby on own all day then pick other two up at 3.15 and have the three til i return from work or DH whoever is first about 5.30....is that unrealistic?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-Sep-09 17:58:48

yes unrealistic - its 40ish a day at nursery's for one child - you have 3 (tho 2 at school)

at the bare minimum you need to pay nmw of £5.73ph times 9hrs so £51.377 grossa day , so just over £200gross a week, or £10 800 a year plus then employers ni

but i would have thought more like 10gross if not more - so £360gross or just under £19k at bare minimum

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 18:04:58

I felt my figures were perhaps a little low - as Bexley may be considered to be London.

Having a nanny take your eldest two children to school, care for baby all day, collect older children, is all fine. Nanny will also be able to be on-call should the older children become ill at school, school needs to shut for any reason (heating breakdown, flood etc) plus provide care for all 3 children during school holidays.

You are being unrealistic in thinking that a nanny will cost you £40ish a day.

Find out how much a childminder would charge in your area for 2 before/after school children plus baby all day. Also establish what the cost is during school holiday periods when the Childminder would be having all 3 children. Contact Bexley Families Information Service - 020 8856 5398 - for a list of childminders (I checked online at Direct.gov but there are not many Childminders listed).

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 18:09:02

Found a Mumsnetter Childminder in Bexley - may be worth contacting to see what they would charge.

boodleboot Wed 02-Sep-09 18:15:19

thanks for that nannynick.

afterschool club would be 20 a day and nursery is 39.50 at the one i was thinking of so 60 all told for the day. would that be realistic? i was just thinking it might have been nicer for the baby to be in his-her own house {not born yet...}and for the kids to come home after school.

we sooooo cannot afford this baby.....but am so totally thrilled to be having it....grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-Sep-09 18:20:49

so cost would be £60 a day during school

what about holidays? costs would then go up with holiday clubs/cms

where as the nanny would still be paid the same term or holidays

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 18:21:58

Yes that sounds more realistic, though of course childcare costs could go up or down by the time baby is born.
Also what happens during school holidays? Would need to add on the cost of holiday clubs, for those weeks you/DH could not cover with your own annual leave.
Also consider the hassle factor - taking 2 children to/from school/after-school club, taking baby to/from nursery. Still doing all the laundry for the 3 children (a nanny would do a lot of that for you, though personally I don't Iron - though did iron 1 child's shirt this morning!).

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-Sep-09 18:25:36

you IRONED this morning nick? shockgrin

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 18:34:35

I know, I surprised myself grin The nearly 2 year old looks so cute in his shirt's (he has a couple with buttons all the way down) that I couldn't put it away all scrunchy!

boodleboot Wed 02-Sep-09 18:39:10

oh dear dear dear. i have no idea how i will afford this you know.... i think i will have to look into me having day off...DH having day off and nanny for three days....i really like the idea of having a nanny rahter than a CM because of the coming to your own home factor....i think that is really nice.

DH irons....not very well....but he [does]do it meaning i don't have to ha grin

nannynick Wed 02-Sep-09 18:41:02

If you (and DH) can get them, Childcare Vouchers can help a little - they could be used to part-pay CM/Nursery/After-School Club/Registered Nanny. Can't be used for an un-registered nanny.

nick, you are slipping... today a shirt, tomorrow the entire laundry basket - its the beginning of a slippery slope you know!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now