Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mum suddenly cut hours

(11 Posts)
5uper5tar Wed 02-Sep-09 16:16:54

The little onethat I look after came back today after the summer holiday. At the end of the session and almost as an after thought the Mum said 'Oh did I tell you Im cutting down to 4 days a week now instead of 5 as my friend is helping out.' I said no she didnt tell me and she was profusely apologetic blaming the hectic summer holiday they've had (to be fair they have moved house) I said 'Oh, well Ive done the invoice now.' She said 'Oh sorry about that I can pay the money in later I'll just deduct some days shall I?' Can I also add that she didnt pay me at all last month, I think she thought it wasnt worth bothering because it was for a small amount but the up shot of that was that I went overdrawn because someone else didnt pay on time either. The thing was, because she was so apologetic I just said that it was ok and I knew what it was like but Im actually flippin mad about it..its a loss of nearly 150 quid a month for me. I just dont know if I can say anything or not, the lo I look after is only with me for another 6 weeks before she leaves anyway and Im not sure how to handle it. What would you all do?

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 16:18:49

do you not need notice for change in hours?
And re-invoice her for last month!

Summerfruit Wed 02-Sep-09 16:25:27

Hum she needs to give you notice for that, it's not pick and choose the hours ! One of my mindee is cutting the hours as well but she gave me a month notice..she wouldnt have done, I would have charge the same for the whole notice agreed between us...

cat64 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:25:31

Message withdrawn

dmo Wed 02-Sep-09 16:28:52

loads of parents have done this to me in the last few months just day a parent phoned to say they are going from 3 days to 1 day per wk. all the parents have paid me the 2wks notice payments for change of days/hrs but all have told me as an after thought which makes me cross as lots of phone calls from new parents asking for places and i told them i was full.

never mind this job is like that sometimes up and down, hope you fill your space soon

AvadaKedavra Wed 02-Sep-09 16:33:03

What does your contract say about notice for changing hours?

5uper5tar Wed 02-Sep-09 16:36:42

I have re-invoiced her for last month - even she recognised that it was lame of her.
I do require notice for change in hours but rather stupidly wrote in only 2 weeks, but still 2 weeks is 2 weeks worth of money right! But am I too late to say anything now, I should have said it at the time but wasn't sure about the notice thing. If I do say anything how do I go about ti without p**** her off...I cant afford to completely lose that money this month.

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 16:49:36

Well I'd just invoice her for this month, 2 weeks at the old amount and two weeks at the new. Assume she's given you notice - if she chooses not to use the place for the first two weeks it's up to her.
Glad you've re-invoiced her - got the impression you'd written it off!

5uper5tar Wed 02-Sep-09 17:03:06

I think I will send her that invoice now, should I mention that I am still charging for 2 weeks and explain about the notice or just see if she mentions it and then tackle it?

5uper5tar Wed 02-Sep-09 17:11:08

ha! She has just texted me saying actually she does need me for 4 days next week after all...bearing in mind that she has sort of actually given me notice today and will be paying next week then she has sort of given me 13 days notice...still charge her or not?

atworknotworking Wed 02-Sep-09 17:42:36

Your'e havin a rough old day arn't you, it does all tend to go pants at the same time doesn't it.

I would re-do the invoice and explain to her that you have checked her contract and you will need two weeks notice of any change in hours, so unfortunately under the terms of your agreement you will be billed for two weeks at the usual rate and two weeks at the new hours. Might also be worth mentioning that you may have to give a temporary contract to the one thats dropped from 3 to 1 day if someone who needs full time care comes along, just so they know and then at least if things become a struggle you can give notice.

Hope things perk up a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now