Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need some advice - no sure where to find out

(6 Posts)
cherryyellow82 Tue 01-Sep-09 20:32:49

At the minute and for the past year my sister has nannied a little boy Mon, Tues & Weds and his brother after school and I have childminded the same 2 boys on a Fri. My sister goes on Maternity leave on 30th September and I will have the boys the 3 extra days a week until she goes back. The problem we seem to be having is the mother is saying she cant pay me until she gets the money back from the government from paying my sister and her first maternity pay isnt until the end of Ocotber!

Does anyone know how long it takes for her to get the money back or can she get the money first to be able to pay us both?

Im not working over a month and not getting paid, im not happy about working a month and getting paid in arrears to be honest

nannynick Tue 01-Sep-09 21:06:36

As a small employer I think she gets back 105% of statutory maternity pay. Not sure how long it takes but think someone posted earlier in the year about it... so with luck they will add a message on here.

Nannies usually get paid in arrears. Childminders usually want payment in advance.
It is down to your contract with the mum as to how you get paid... as a CM you are providing a service and the mum is agreeing to your contract - not you agreeing to their contract. So if you want payment in advance, then that is fine... the mum will have to find the money... or find alternative care. Suspect you will need to come to some arrangement, perhaps being paid weekly in advance.

nannynick Tue 01-Sep-09 21:09:58

Thought I'd seen a message post about this... FoxinSocks managed to get a cheque off HMRC quickly.

nannynick Tue 01-Sep-09 21:11:13

HMRC: Statutory Maternity Pay Funding

Mamulik Tue 01-Sep-09 21:12:33

if you know her well and sure 100% she will pay I can not see a problem

cherryyellow82 Wed 02-Sep-09 09:44:02

I do know her quite well but from what I have just been told she cant claim the money back until after Nov 5th so by the time she gets it I will have worked over a month and shes going to owe me over a months fees

She gets paid monthly so she cant afford to pay me weekly either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now