Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I need to buy some multicultural and inclusion toys...how much do Ofsted expect you to have?

(12 Posts)
ilikepink Tue 01-Sep-09 19:20:32

Hi

The title says it all really!!

My first mindee is due to start in a couple of weeks and I'm going to buy some multicultural and inclusion toys, but how much am I expected to have and does anyone have any good examples? I can have access to some via the local toy library but would prefer to have a selection at home.

Thank you smile

AvadaKedavra Tue 01-Sep-09 19:22:22

Musical instruments
Books
Dolls
Dressing Up clothes
Puzzles

Avoid tokenism though!

Umlellala Tue 01-Sep-09 19:26:18

I wouldhave thought the point was that you represented a variety of experiences/cultures in your books/dolls/musical instruments rather than buy a couple of 'multicultural things'. so what Avada said but have a variety of dressing up clothes rather than the 'normal dressing up clothes' and the 'different cultures box' for example. Mabe ask people to bring you back things from holidays?

AvadaKedavra Tue 01-Sep-09 19:27:56

yyy, makre sure it's not in a box labelled multicultural resources, make sure what you have is actively used and just lumped in as all your other toys etc are

My parents gave me some very funky African shawl things for our dressing up box

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 19:30:31

yy integrate
eg
variety of cooking pans in the kitchen (balti pans, woks)
variety of dolls in the dolls' house
variety of baby dolls in the home corner bit

ilikepink Tue 01-Sep-09 20:39:32

Thank you. I knew you would all point me in the right direction, better get shopping now!!

atworknotworking Tue 01-Sep-09 21:31:15

I got some nice bits of a free printables site, people of the world, with print out traditional clothes, laminted them and the kids love dressing them up and mixing up outfits, also if you have a local pound shop they often have puzzles, jigsaws of similar things you could also try any local takeaways chinese / indian etc, they might be happy to give you some complimentary menus, chopsticks etc for the home corner.

Definately good to integrate the resources into everyday stuff, at DD's nursery they had a massive playhouse and every doll inside had a different disbility, wheelchair, walking stick, leg missing etc, the kids hated it and was really quite scary, that doesnt represent RL, ended up in a corner with a big cover on it.

atworknotworking Tue 01-Sep-09 21:32:59

The welcome posters in different languages are good as well, and children like to learn how to pronounce the words. Can get them on free printout sites as well, shop bought ones are quite costy.

atworknotworking Tue 01-Sep-09 21:34:51

Local churches might give you bits and bobs as well if you have a sinogogue, temple christian etc.

You might have guessed I like a bargain grin

owt for nowt thats me

AvadaKedavra Tue 01-Sep-09 23:24:30

www.sparklebox.co.uk is good for free printable stuff like role play sets (chinese restaurant for eg)

HSMM Wed 02-Sep-09 08:51:12

I use the library for the children's books. They choose some, I choose some and it means we have a wide variety and thousands to choose from. If they really love a particular book, we can renew it. I have a special library card as a childminder, which means I can get out 25 books for 3 months.

savoycabbage Wed 02-Sep-09 09:01:01

There are some lovely books that don't 'bang on ' about it like 'Double the love' by Bernard Ashley.

Toys r us used to have some non-ugly baby dolls. Also Lilydoll and 'baby stella' are lovely dolls. I like these Beedibies but they are not to everyone's taste!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now