Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

new to this but need advice

(11 Posts)
btmh Tue 01-Sep-09 10:33:05

i am a cm i spent until 9 last night cleaning
and doing paperwork for mindee.
i get up at 6.30 ready to start at 8 and mindee didnt arrive
got a call at 9.30 to say he not coming today but will be tomorrow!!!!
i am furious and dnt know what to do or say to parents sad

rubyslippers Tue 01-Sep-09 10:40:39

Do you still get paid if the mindee doesn't come?

Which bit are you furious about? The not turning up or the late notice ...

am sure this is unfortunately part and parcel of the job?

btmh Tue 01-Sep-09 10:47:52

they only pay when mindee comes
am furios that they knew yesterday but forgot to tell me
also i could have spent yesterday with dc and not cleaning and paperwork

crace Tue 01-Sep-09 10:52:28

Can you modify your contract to be 24 hours notice or they pay anyway? May help the "forgetting"?

LisaD1 Tue 01-Sep-09 10:52:30

I'm a childminder and would be charging for a full day if this were done to me! What does your contract state?

btmh Tue 01-Sep-09 10:58:26

thanks for replying,they dont take any notice of contract have struggled with them for a while late pick ups late payment etc

really would like to give it up,but adore all the children i have.

think its the usual case of you are at home anyway so it doesnt matter but its not the same
its my job!!!

LisaD1 Tue 01-Sep-09 11:12:36

Sorry, but you need to make them take notice of the contract and if they don't then give notice. Why should you be out of pocket because they "forgot" to tell you they weren't coming? If there child were in nursery they would be charged for the day and would be made to take notice of the contract.

Just invoice them for the day and when they query it point them in the direction of the contract! I would also add a late payment charge to the contract when it is next reviewed.

Hope you sort it out.

atworknotworking Tue 01-Sep-09 12:19:07

I agree, you should be paid you were available for work, whats your notice period on the contract? mines 2wks for holidays otherwise I expect to be paid.

danthe4th Tue 01-Sep-09 12:31:41

Get paid in advance for the contracted hours and then if they decide not to come you have still been paid. Always get paid in advance.

btmh Tue 01-Sep-09 14:39:20

contract is term time only,but i contacted them last week to confirm the actual date they were returning and was told today.

have always paid in arrears and always late

own fault though too soft blush always smile and say nothing but seeth inside.

HSMM Tue 01-Sep-09 15:28:28

I invoice everyone a month in advance (have done weekly for a parent who struggled). Some pay the same each month by standing order (mostly problem payers) and others pay for the hours in the month coming up. I charge a late payment fee for consistent late payments. I do get narked when I get out of bed at 6:30am only to find out that my first mindee will be late and I could have had some more sleep (but I do get paid for it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now