Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

£45 per day is it OK (North London)?

(17 Posts)
Mamulik Mon 31-Aug-09 12:23:39

Our childminder charging us £45 per day. My DD2 is 11 months old. Is it Ok or too expensive?

ingles2 Mon 31-Aug-09 12:25:42

The minimum wage? Cheap I would have thought.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 31-Aug-09 12:31:31

do cm come under nmw?

if so then surely they would all charge £5.73 an hour

£45 seems a good rate

limonchik Mon 31-Aug-09 12:31:38

Is it a ten hour day? Sounds very reasonable for London.

limonchik Mon 31-Aug-09 12:32:31

CM don't get paid a wage because they're self employed - they charge a fee for their services.

Heated Mon 31-Aug-09 12:35:08

My friends pay £38 and £42 in London for what they consider very good cm (it's £25 where I am). If we were to pay per hour it would be more expensive but for all-day mindees our CMs charge a flat fee and only charge hourly for pre and after school care.

TheIronLady Mon 31-Aug-09 18:01:38

I am north London and most childminders locally charge 5-5.50ph or £45 & £50 per day, based on a 10 hour day.

There are a few childminders who charge lower or even higher.

Sounds about right, certainly wouldn't expect to pay lower!

spicemonster Mon 31-Aug-09 18:32:47

That's what I pay in NW London

gingernutlover Mon 31-Aug-09 21:14:48

sounds reasonable

I live in kent, area where everything seems to be london prices and pay £49 a day for nursery, childminders charge £4-5 per hour round here

pinkdelight Tue 01-Sep-09 11:25:09

That's what I pay in London too and think it's a good deal. Don't see how minimum wage applies though - surely the idea of CMs is that they have several mindees so the amount per hour is multiplied to well above nmw?

Mamulik Tue 01-Sep-09 21:09:37

pinkdelight she is going to have another baby from October, so £90 per day not that bad

maggi Sat 05-Sep-09 09:21:53

childminders follow the two thirds rule. It means you can discount two thirds of their income as business expenses (obviously we are all different and manage our expenses in our own ways but the industry averages out as this). Sooo... someone who seems to be taking in 90 a day will end up with 30 in their own pocket.

Which, if you wanted to translate into minimum wage terms.... is aprox 3.50ph before tax.......!

tulpe Sun 06-Sep-09 01:00:58

I was charging £45 a day 8 years ago in South West London (based on theory that altho registered for 4 children, I only took on 1.....so parents were getting good adult/child ratio.......as had DS1 then too).

Sounds like a good deal to me.

netdaddy Sun 06-Sep-09 08:13:27

@ maggi,

sorry to disagree with you about the two thirds rule...what you have said is misleading.
I think that the two thirds disregard applies to cm's who are claiming any sort of benefits.

HMRC allows cm's to allocate 10% of their gross income as expenses to cover wear and tear on their household furniture and effects... but definitely not two thirds.

As for the original question, I think that you are paying a reasonable rate at £45 per day, for somebody to look after the most precious thing in your life....

tell me, do you quibble with the £75 call out fee to get your washing machine working ???

washing machine you can replace....child you cannot

littlestarschildminding Sun 06-Sep-09 09:36:36

netdaddy

By the time I have accounted for food, outings, nappies, formula, mileage, extra bills, wear and tear (yes we can claim tax relief on wear and tear but believe me the ACTUAL toll to my sofa, carpets, car, bedding, washing machine etc costs FAR more than 1/10th of my income which I get tax relief on...) toys, equipment etc + have paid tax,NI, Insurances, extra car ins, extra house ins, membership, ofsted fees, advertising, crafts etc etc My take home is WAY WAY less than what I actually earn...usually around 1/3rd actually.
(+ I get no holiday pay or sick pay)

I thanks thats what maggi was getting at.

Its not like having a regular job where you get your wage and your tax and NI is taken off and what is left is YOURS...we have so much to take out of our 'wage' before we can account for what is ours.

So when a CM gets £90 a day she REALLY doesn't earn £90 a day!!

AvadaKedavra Sun 06-Sep-09 18:54:15

Hear hear Littlestars!! I wish...

netdaddy Mon 07-Sep-09 08:02:30

littlestars...

everybody's circumstances are different and speaking as a childminder myself, I have to disagree with the assertion that ALL of us only manage to keep 1/3 of our income.

It totally depends on how many children and how much we charge.

After the first child....we cannot turn on the heating again, use any more gas rings to cook a meal etc etc....so if a CM had one child four days a week at £30 per day, then I suppose a 1/3 keep of the income would not be incorrect....but if a CM had 6 children, five days a week at £50 per day, then your assertion is totally incorrect....

all depends on how much you charge and how many children you have and how many days you work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now