Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Could someone in the know advise about free nurdery sessions for 3 year olds...

(6 Posts)
IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Mon 31-Aug-09 09:57:57

pretty please?

DS currently goes to childminder and her other mindee is 3 and goes to nursery nearby CM's house for the free sessions. I am absolutely fine with DS doing the same thing when he turns 3. It is a nice nursery and good prep for reception class etc etc. She takes mindee 1 there and picks her up afterwards so there would be no hassle involved for me, only for her and she seems happy to do it (gets a break I suppose!).

However, something I read on the directgov website made me think that we may not be eligible because CM lives in a different county to us (we are right on border and I work in same town where she lives, hence why DS goes there). It seems to suggest you can only take free sessions in a designated nursery close to your home. That would be completely impractical for us and he would have to miss out. Can anyone enlightment?

TIA

bigstripeytiger Mon 31-Aug-09 10:04:00

I dont know about what happens if the childcare is ain a different county to you, but we were able to use any nursery in our city, and it didnt have to be within any particular distance of our home.

If you contact the early years person at your council they should be able to advise you.

bigdonna Mon 31-Aug-09 15:54:05

i suppose it depends how many nursery places the school has .the school nursery my mindees go too has 102 nursery places and only 60 reception places.two of my mindees went to the nursery but did not get a place in reception!!

danthe4th Mon 31-Aug-09 17:54:06

No its fine to live in a different county the nursery will do the claim when you go.We are also cross county and never had a problem just have to sign the forms at playgroup.Everyone is entitled to free places at age 3 but also some areas are now piloting it from age 2. Some childminders can also deliver the free places as well if they are accredited and belong to a network.

danthe4th Mon 31-Aug-09 17:56:50

Getting a place at a nursery attached to a school does not guarantee a place in reception unless you are in the school catchment and would be entitled anyway.

IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Mon 31-Aug-09 19:27:12

Thanks for replies. Nursery into school isn't an issue - the nursery he would go to isn't attached to a school anyway. My worry was that the funding couldn't cross county boundaries. CM is studying for her NVQ etc but doesn't have the necessary to deliver the free places yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now