Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Will this nanny drive me mad?

(15 Posts)
howdidthishappenthen Fri 28-Aug-09 12:24:04

Interviewed a possible new nanny yesterday for our 2-day per week position - fab qualifications, glowing referencces, got straight down low to play with our 2yr old, definitely knows her stuff, DS seemed keen... so far so good.. but..

.. she talks 9-to-the-dozen. Took my 2 hours to get her out of the house. Also enormous beaming headlight (quite scary) smile and 'I'm on coke' wide-open eyes (IYSWIM- just their natural expression, not really on drugs). Won't be a prob for the next couple of months as we'll only see her for 10 mins at the start/end of each day, but after that I'm on maternity leave for a few months. Will it turn into a 'hormonal mother strangles loquacious nanny' DM headline?

No other candidates in the field tho, and we're really desparate now.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 28-Aug-09 12:26:39

If you have doubts now I think they will only annoy you more when you have her working for you.

And wanting to only spend the minimum time possible is a bit unrealistic. It can take more than 10 minutes some times to hand over and if she is a talker...

LoveMyGirls Fri 28-Aug-09 12:32:14

She might have been nervous/ trying to impress you? I talk quickly and waffle when I'm nervous - parent's evening is a nightmare my dp always has to remind me when I'm waffling otherwise the teacher would never get a word in or see any other parents blush I can't help it and don't realise I'm doing it.

juneybean Fri 28-Aug-09 12:33:35

See what you think of her at a second interview, she might calm down and feel more comfortable aroudn you.

Like LMG it might be nerves.

GreenBlack Fri 28-Aug-09 13:42:06

It's always the desperation that drives people into choosing the wrong nanny when they know it's the wrong choice... and it causes so much stress later. You have the luxury of choice now. Think calmly: if you had 10 others to choose from, would you pick this one? Will the chatting (assuming it is normal behaviour) irritate you to the point where it might harm your relationship? for eg I really value my own time and peace and space, and would hate to have to listen to someone chatting for more than necessary when I get home after a day's work. I would eventually consider that an invasion of my space.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 28-Aug-09 13:54:33

be grateful she WANTS to talk to you - i know a few nannys who cant stand their employers sad

i think she is just being friendly, and personally i would much rather have a chatty smiley nanny (like me) rather than a sullen quiet one

i chatter lots and leave VERY long messages on ansa machine much to my friends annoyance grin

but

if you truely have doubts then interview her again, talk to ex employers and see what they say she is like

she was probably trying to impress you and got nervous

Bink Fri 28-Aug-09 18:40:42

Does what she says sound sensible? - funny question, but really: is she a rambler, or does she just have lots of enthusiasm & lots of ideas? Was her chatting engaging with you, or was it talking AT you?

If she has lots of interests and enthusiasms and was responding to what you're saying, but just isn't very good at boiling down what she has to say, then I would say go for it. And make sure that you put her in touch with dozens of other local nannies so that she gets adequate chatting room - we always loved it when we had friendly nannies, making an equally friendly gang of little charges.

But if she was rambling and not engaging with you, or in any way making you uncomfortable (as opposed to ears-hurting), then of course don't!

chandellina Fri 28-Aug-09 18:54:02

sounds good to me ... should help with your little one's own communication skills!

HarrietTheSpy Fri 28-Aug-09 19:44:32

Bink is spot on.

callaird Fri 28-Aug-09 19:53:14

I can back Blondes up on "i chatter lots and leave VERY long messages on ansa machine much to my friends annoyance"

Although very rarely an annoyance!! Salt of the earth and the kindest person!

I have a lot to thank her for.

*BTW - last day today, so hard!*

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 29-Aug-09 11:25:34

aww callaird blush

actually I did ring you this morning and left blush a long message on your ansa machine grin to see how yesterady went sad

peers quickly over shoulder and ((HUGS))

so Op what are you going to do? smile

BonsoirAnna Sat 29-Aug-09 11:27:31

I interviewed a cleaner/housekeeper recently, who came highly recommended from another mother at school who was moving abroad.

I couldn't even countenance her for the same reasons, even though I am sure she was very good at her job. I was shattered after the interview she had talked so much!

thebody Sat 29-Aug-09 15:36:35

so funny LoveMyGirls, I do exactly the same thing at parents evenings because I am nervous.. and when I am I talk a lot.

Think you should reconsider, after all when you are communicating with small children you do exagerate both speech and gestures and your voice gets higher.. I sing the Wheels on the bus and do all the actions with mindees but I wouldnt do that down the pub in adult company.. well only if pissed...

She may assume 'child mode' during work time which can be annoying for adults but great for your child.

thebody Sat 29-Aug-09 15:38:38

so funny LoveMyGirls, I do exactly the same thing at parents evenings because I am nervous.. and when I am I talk a lot.

Think you should reconsider, after all when you are communicating with small children you do exagerate both speech and gestures and your voice gets higher.. I sing the Wheels on the bus and do all the actions with mindees but I wouldnt do that down the pub in adult company.. well only if pissed...

She may assume 'child mode' during work time which can be annoying for adults but great for your child.

piscesmoon Sat 29-Aug-09 15:39:50

I think bink has great advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now