Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Those of you who have full-time nannies who do stuff...

(9 Posts)
nomoremangopuree Wed 26-Aug-09 21:02:15

... like pureeing. Kids ironing. Kids washing. Sorting out kids clothes. Cleaning kids rooms.

You really don't know how lucky you are! I have just sat down after pureeing galore. I pick up my DD from the childminder, come home and then have barely any time to spend with her because I'm doing stuff and running round like a headless chicken trying to get organised for the next day.

envy

AtheneNoctua Wed 26-Aug-09 21:51:05

That is exactly why I have a nanny. I remember being where you are. And I don't miss it. I decided I worked too many hours to then ignore my kid(s) when I got home.

nannynick Wed 26-Aug-09 22:00:57

I think employers of nannies do know how lucky they are. Not everyone can afford a nanny... it's certainly an expensive childcare option if you only have one child. The more children you have, the more washing, sorting kids things, food prep there is to do... and then the more help you have in the home, the better.

Try to find time each day to spend some quality time with your DD. It doesn't need to be for a long period of time... it needs to be quality time - time that is devoted to her needs. It can be as simple as reading a story.

Food prep - do it in bulk... allocate a few hours on one day such as at the weekend. As you are at the puree stage, it can be prepared in bulk and frozen (ice cube trays are often ideal).

nomoremangopuree Wed 26-Aug-09 22:13:48

Yes, I do it in bulk. Last night I didn't sit down until gone 10pm because I was peeling and chopping pears. Peeling and chopping and de-seeding things, every single night.

I find myself reciting stories from memory as we're driving along in the car, just so I have time to "read" her a story.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight. I'm feeling that it's just not worth it, working full-time. I mean, it's worth it so we can pay bills and eat half decent food but... I'm too exhausted to be a decent parent.

nannynick Wed 26-Aug-09 22:59:02

All parents are exhausted. Paying the bills, providing food and clothing for you DD are important. Your DD will be getting a lot of activities provided by the CM, so that leaves you to give all the nicer bits like cuddles, playing together, relaxing together in front of the tele.
Your DD is happy with her CM I presume, you are generally happy with work, you like the lifestyle you live.
The baby/toddler stages will pass. Look longer term... you won't be preparing purees forever.

nannynick Wed 26-Aug-09 23:02:27

You are a 'decent parent' - you are providing your DD with a roof over her head, food in her belly. Some children don't get those things... they don't know when they will next be fed... they don't have the security of calling somewhere home (home could change on a regular basis, bedsit to bedsit or worse).

Caz10 Wed 26-Aug-09 23:08:17

I feel for you as work FT with a toddler - but immediate thought is "don't bother bloody pureeing!" grin

DD 20mths now, I never pureed a damn thing

theoriginalmummypoppins Thu 27-Aug-09 06:54:06

yes we do nomore.

did it all for nearly 4 years with 2 littles. I also used to have to work most saturdays to to catch up because leaving the office at 6pm to dash to nursery was like cutting my day in half. Now I work until 8pm most nights!!! Nanny is essential.

Forget the pureeing. I never bothered........have 2 very happy healthy and strong children !

It is hard work ft. But hang in there. It doesnt get easier but you learn to manage it better.

Good luck

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Aug-09 11:22:49

how old is your dd?

does the cm previde meals or do you have to take dd food daily?

tbh i dont bother pureeing fruit,by the time you have brought them, peeled,de pipped etc, you dont get a lot of fruit left once cooked and pureed - so i buy jars of fruit ready made

yes may be slightly more expensive, but in your case surely the money is worth your time iyswim

is there a oh/dp/dh? can he do some of the cooking in evening?

or whatever you have to eat, cook more and then bung in whizzer

could you hire a cleaner for a few hoursa week to hoover etc/bribe oh to do more around the house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now