Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Opinions please on this babysitting service idea

(8 Posts)
brenda21 Wed 26-Aug-09 18:16:52

I currently work in a pre-school, have done for 10 years, and have 2 older children of my own. I'm looking for more flexible work and wondered if anyone had any opinions on this.
I was wondering about setting myself up as an occasional/emergency daytime babysitter. I know loads of people (through my job and from school) many who have nannies/childminders. They often have that problem when nanny is sick and they have to call in favours etc from friends or take a day off. Also people who need someone reliable if they have a doctor's appointment or such like.
Its just an idea at the moment, so I thought I'd run it by mn!
How much would people pay do you think?
I live in a pretty affluent area of London.
Would I need to be registerd with the council? Would this depend on whether I looked after children in my or their home?
Anything else I should be considering? (I did say this was very early days re development of the idea!)

Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received

nannynick Wed 26-Aug-09 18:26:58

Would not need to be registered if caring for children in the child's home. Would suggest you get listed under voluntary part of ISA as soon as the scheme permits you to do so - so parents are able to check that you are suitable to work with children.

brenda21 Wed 26-Aug-09 21:22:52

Thanks for that nannynick.

Anyone else got any any ideas?!

BoffinMum Wed 26-Aug-09 21:24:04

I would pay £8-£10 an hour for this in London, where we used to live. If it's just babysitting, then I think you don't need to be registered, but if it was in your own home, you would probably need to be registered unless it was for less than two hours at a time.

I imagine you would also get enquiries from parents of kids in quarantine from nursery and school to see whether you would have then for a couple of hours so mum could go off to a meeting or whatever. Would you be prepared to do that as well? What knock on effect might this have for your family?

navyeyelasH Wed 26-Aug-09 23:30:25

I do something like this alon with fixed worked. Would the fact you may not have a stable income worry you?

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Thu 27-Aug-09 17:09:50

I do this alongside night nannying and have a few families that I have done ad hoc work for. They pay £10 - £15 per hour.

I am based in Herts (just north of London)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Aug-09 18:28:20

I also do this along side my perm 3 day job. I charge £10ph and have a minimum charge of 4hrs

brenda21 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:20:49

Thank you very much for that everyone. Very helpful and given me a few pointers! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now