Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you pay your nanny?

(73 Posts)
mumtotots Mon 30-May-05 08:01:35

Please don't be offended by this direct question, I'm looking for a full time live in nanny in Putney and I'm getting nowhere with the ones I've interviewed. I realise I might not be offering the going rate, But I don't know what it is!

Any straightforward and honest replies would be appreciated, change your name if you want! I don't want to be too personel, but I'm in a fix.

Thanks for all replies!

tamula Mon 30-May-05 08:18:52

As an ex-nanny, for your neck of the woods I'd reccommend upwards of £350 net per full week for a qualified or vastly experienced nanny or both if your lucky!

hatsoff Mon 30-May-05 09:08:59

£70 net a day in Kingston for 8 am til 6.30. She brings her own daughter.

hatsoff Mon 30-May-05 09:09:58

she's qualified with 8 ish years experience and very good references

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 09:29:44

Hang on.... a Nanny earns £350 a week.... AND lives in?????? Do they pay for room and board off of that?

I'm in the wrong business!

binkie Mon 30-May-05 09:38:16

I think tamula's figure is pretty high for live-in, must say. Though maybe well-heeled bits of London carry a premium?

I'd say £350+ pw is for central London live-out, not live-in. But I'm not sure how much less for live-in - maybe £275/285? Have you tried speaking to agencies, just to get the ballpark? Or bestbear.co.uk?

It does also depend on the hours you want, the experience, and so on. Some live-ins do get £400 or more, but that would probably come with responsibilities to match, like travelling with the family, proxy parenting while parents away on business, and so on.

NannyL Mon 30-May-05 09:47:37

http://www.nannyjob.co.uk/employment/salaryguide.htm

hope that link works!

A daily nanny in central london would therefor be on £500 gross per day which works out over £350 nett per week.... + you will then have to pay yout employers contributions of about £50ish per week

(BTW there ARE lots of london job offering around £400 NETT per week)

for outer london a daily nanny should expect around £432 gross ( = about £325 net) and your employer contributions would be around £43 per week.

Also those are 2004 figures so expect them to be slightly higher.

I hope i dont offedn you buy putting this, but if you cant afford to pay your nanny the going rate then maybe you should look into other forms of childcare, after all we are not charities either and have bills etc to pay ourselves...

Also those salaries are based on an average 50 hour working week (typically 8 - 6) so if required for fewer hours than obviously pay a bit less ...

typically a daily nanny will babysit one evening a week and a live in 2 days per week.

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 09:52:06

NannyL - lol at your comment re: we have bills to pay too! You're talking about a basic salary of £26k! Thats' a cracking salary! You'll be earning 4k per annum more than a Teacher or Nurse.

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 09:54:19

Also NannyL - I can't see anywhere in Mumtotots post that implies she can't really afford a Nanny. Am I really sensitive today or was that assumption a bit cheeky?

NannyL Mon 30-May-05 10:00:41

"I realise I might not be offering the going rate,"

sorry to offend (didnt mean to!) that was where i got that idea from, but re reading it maybe mum WANTS to offer going rate just doesnt know what it is...

Us nannies are regularly told that we are 'over paid' etc and im sorry, but that does really get to me!

we are proffesional people who do proffesional jobs and on average do a good 50 hours (+ a babysit) per week...

so YES maybe we DO earn more, but we do ALOT more hours than most other jobs, and unlike teachers we dont get all the long holidays off etc (yes i know you have to plan your lessons too)

So given tnat we work longer hours it surely only makes sense that our salaries reflect this!

There ARE lots of people who want a nanny but arnt prepared to pay 'normal' amounts because they see it as unfair that the nanny is earning the same or evn more than them... what i mean is to Those people... if you arnt going to pay going rate, then dont expect us to all coem runnin for your jobs cause we will go elsewhere...

saying that i would rather have a nice job that pays less than a very well paid job with not such a nice family

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 10:23:28

NannyL - I think she just meant she had no idea what the going rate was, but assumed she wasn't offering enough as noone was interested in the job?

Fair enough, teachers get long holidays, but Nurses and midwives don't! And they do long hours, night shifts etc. I still think £26k is a very healthy salary. Not one that result in you having to 'scrap by' without many luxuries. Or are you talking about a London salary? I suppose with London weighting then it's much lower.
Nursery Nurser are qualified, but usually only get paid £5 or £6 per hour, which is shocking!
Anyway... perhaps a debate for another thread.

natts Mon 30-May-05 11:37:27

I got paid £5 per hour and was one of the dosey nannies that did everything form the cleaning ironing and feeding the livestock,i didn't live in though and i am in the country. when i was a livin i got a salery which was well belo the going rate but i had a lot of perks,car to take at weekends wekends off, they paid for me to go to college when the little girl was at full time school etc. no idea what the rate is now in london as i am an old bird, but i would want a cintract now if i did, and i would state tha tif the children i nanny for have friends round which i will be responable for i want paying for them aswell, because the four kids i used to nanny for had friend round in the holidays and i was looking after 8 kid's often. never again

pinotgrigio Mon 30-May-05 12:20:02

I pay my nanny £300 per week nett in Kingston. She's a live in too. For her perks I pay for free DVDs, sushi on demand , provided car, TV, DVD player, stereo etc, SIM card & calls (but only work related ones). I pay for her calls home to Australia too. I've also just had to pay £1,000 for flights home to Aus and back again. Kerching.

I started her on £250 but increased it after a year. She has 3 years experience, but only 2 full-time, hence the lower rate.

tamula Mon 30-May-05 13:27:19

Can i just say that i mis-read the initial post, i skipped the 'live-in' bit!! I quoted for a daily live-out nanny. Which was upwards of £350 is the going rate so far as i am aware...

tamula Mon 30-May-05 13:28:52

pinotgrigio your nanny has the good-life! What a fab employer as i'm sure your nanny is a good employee

mishmash Mon 30-May-05 13:37:20

Pinot Grigio - just a quick question - how many hours does your nanny work?

Anteater Mon 30-May-05 13:46:01

£6 per hour, £20 if she has the kids overnight
She brings her baby to work
Shes very adaptable, works in the shop, banks, Cash and carry, anything legal infact!

pinotgrigio Mon 30-May-05 13:47:58

Yes, I'm very fond of my nanny. She works 8.30 -> 5.30 at the moment. It depends on where in the world I'm working really [see previous threads on globetrotting] She also doesn't have to babysit, but that's because I'm a nobby no-mates and never go out. If I'd stayed in England I would have started a wine tasting course and combined my favourite pastime with actually leaving the house. One day....

mishmash Mon 30-May-05 13:58:31

Pinot - does nanny travel with you? Sorry for being nosey - more curious than anything else.

mishmash Mon 30-May-05 13:59:08

I am a nerd when it comes to searches so couldn't locate your Globetrotting Thread.

pinotgrigio Mon 30-May-05 14:11:42

Hi Mishmash. Yes, she's worked with me in Milan, Thailand, Germany, UK and we're off to Australia next month.

mumtotots Mon 30-May-05 16:50:54

I was offering £300 per week net, I'll increase it to £350, although if someone came along I really liked and the dd's liked I would offer £400.

Thanks for all replies!

P.S. Pinot, I'm intrigued how you manage with all of the travelling, although your nanny sounds fab! (Just what I need....) Being nosey, what do you do for work?

hatsoff Mon 30-May-05 22:07:30

toothache - forgot to say my £70 a day is live out.

hatsoff Mon 30-May-05 22:12:21

didn't see the live in reference

Martini Mon 30-May-05 22:35:37

£350 net a week sounds a bit high to me for live even in London. Why not ring up a couple of agencies near where you live and ask them. They see nannies the whole time and most of the nannies I interviewed recently were asking for the same rates as the agencies quoted. You can get agency details from Bestbear.co.uk. Also you could ask the people at Simply Childacare - website www.simplychildcare.co.uk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now