Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Those that have Nannies, would you consider a 'older' nanny?

(40 Posts)
shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 12:20:58

just musing as will be giving up CM in the next few months as DH has left the Army, and we will be moving out of quarters, I have been in childcare for 30 odd years, and was thinking of retiring, or going into a nursery, or something!

Anyway have now started to wonder about going back to being a nanny, (I was one 30 years ago and then again briefly about 20 years ago)

I have loads of experience, as well as qualifications, but wondering if my age (50!!!!) would put potential employers off.

Penthesileia Tue 25-Aug-09 12:25:46

Wouldn't put me off. smile In fact, we were all set to interview 2 older nannies (similar age to you), but they got jobs before we met them. Plus, another nanny in her 40s, whom we did meet, was offered a job (which she took eventually), on her way to be interviewed by us.

So lots of people obviously aren't put off by an older nanny.

I think as long as you are energetic enough to look after kids all day, then no problem.

Good luck! smile

squeaver Tue 25-Aug-09 12:26:04

My dd's nanny is 46 and she is FAB. All my friends are jealous of me because she is so experienced and knowledgeable (but still fun for the kids). Other nannies and mums are always asking her advice

I think you'd have people queuing up tbh.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 12:31:37

mmmm might be a goer then, just really trying to decide where I go from here.

Still look after 3 under 3 at the moment and although I do get tired, I am doing a 60 hour week at the moment plus all the paperwork now required.

Think I would be looking at a 5/30 hour sort of week if it came up, as would like to have some time to myself, but could be flexible as it is only DH and me at home now.

As I said havnt been a nanny for years but do have great references from all the families I have looked after in the last few years.

DrEvil Tue 25-Aug-09 13:27:32

I most certainly would love to have a nanny who was as experienced as you are and who was sympathetic to the 'sponteneous' nature of military families when I go back to work.

sailorsgal Tue 25-Aug-09 15:43:24

Would you consider doing maternity work? I'm 45 and really like it as I can work when I want and the money is quite good though not much comes up in my area so sometimes I am away during the week.

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 25-Aug-09 15:47:01

Def wouldn't be put off by age - would see life experience as a bonus.
Might wonder if I would have to pay you more though? Do older nannies tend to cost more?

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 17:01:06

I don't know about pay, I would definitely be asking for the higher end of the pay scale, seeing as I have 30 years experience,(but I would be willing to pay to be Ofsted Registered, might be possible to swap my current Registration over to Nanny Reg, not sure will ask NannyNick).

I also have a NNEB, NVQ up to level 4, Foundation Degree in Early Years, Behavioural ManagementFirst Aid, Safe Guarding Children, as well as God knows how many play courses under my belt.

I think some parents want younger nannies and others older nannies and actually think most parents would interview based on cv, with the experience and qualifications they require and then decide on you as an individual at interview. I would say if would differ from one 50yr old to another.

glamourbadger Tue 25-Aug-09 19:12:25

I always thought I would prefer a younger nanny until I became a stay at home mum and spent a lot of time chatting to nannies at toddler groups. The more mature nannies just seemed so much more experienced, reliable and not phased by things the younger girls were. I guess it is down to the individual family and your fit with them but given the choice I would always go for an 'older' nanny.

I am currently interviewing for a nanny myself (why I am lurking on this thread!) and leaning towards a lady in her 40s, she just seems to have much more to offer than the younger girls I've interviewed.

I say go for it!

theoriginalmummypoppins Tue 25-Aug-09 19:17:06

My nanny is 45 and having 3 grown up children of her own she has gelled really well with my school age children.

She is on her feet all day with them just having a fab time.I amazed by how much energy she has to be honest. Far more than most of the younger au pairs I have had in the past.

For me older nannies are the way to go. Its just what suits our family.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 19:26:15

Well ladies you have all given me hope.

The thought of going back into a 'regimented' structure of a Nursery was not appealing to be honest.

I know nannying will not be he same as working for myself, I decide what I am doing each day, where we are going sort of thing, but hopefully with the right family, it could b quite similar (most days we go out to something and have a fairly organized routine around sleeping and eating, so we could do as much or as little as the children dictate.IYKWIM)

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Aug-09 19:28:24

i think many familys would be happy with an older experienced nany just as others are happy with a young one with their own child

in other words all familys are different

one of my dear friends is an older nanny, is 45 and gets work easily - parents love the fact she is older

and shoshe - nannying is much less stressful (no paperwork etc) and hopefully more enjoyable than being a cm, and you really can leave your work - unlike cms who are always in their work environment iyswim

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 25-Aug-09 19:29:49

I know someone in her early 50s and she is a better nanny than I am mum and I think you will have your pick of jobs.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 19:29:58

I would if I could afford a nanny. I prefer all of dd's respite carers to be older women. Generally more experienced plus I can talk to them. The teens we have had spend all their time ignoring dd and texting.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 19:37:09

Blondes that is why I am giving up grin we will finally be living in our own home, and I want it to be 'grown up' with all the lovely things we have bought over the years and have had to either keep covered up or in boxes.

I have had enough of living in a Nursery, but not enough of the children.

So Nannying seems the best way to go.

So anyone looking for a old Nanny grin in the south Oxfordshire/North wilts area this time next year wink

(DrEvil, Military Families will be most welcome)

nannynick Tue 25-Aug-09 19:39:34

shoshe - don't think you can 'swap' as such. But you can certainly apply for registration under Childcare Register (Voluntary) and pay the fee - currently £103.

I'm in my 30's... does that make me an 'older nanny'? If so, then salary wise I find that I'm paid the same as other nannies in my area.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 19:47:23

Ah just the man I need grin

Thought I proably couldnt but would be happy to pay to go on the Nanny Register, would I have to do a course or anything?

Will be up to date with First Aid and such (will do them in the next few months as they are all due by the end of next year and can do them for £10.00 as a CM)

I am already registered with 3 Childcare Voucher Schemes, would I have to reregister as a nanny?

DrEvil Tue 25-Aug-09 19:51:49

Shohse: Rats! I am on the south coast. How fab to have your own home again though and not see your house for the first time the day you move in!wink

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 19:54:59

DrEvil {grin] I cant wait {grin] A house we choose, insted of just allocated.

nannynick Tue 25-Aug-09 20:00:56

shoshe - you would need to notify the childcare voucher scheme(s) that your nanny employer uses of your new Ofsted registration number. Your ICP is currently enough for Nanny Registration, though who knows what the requirements will be in 2010/2011. Though as you have Foundation Degree in Early Years, I suspect that will be fine for quite some time yet.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 20:10:51

Ahh but Nick I never di an ICP, they were never even heard of when I started to CM, in fact Registration wasnt even heard of grin.

nannynick Tue 25-Aug-09 20:23:55

You have: NNEB, NVQ up to level 4 (I presume in a Childcare subject) plus a Foundation Degree in Early Years. So I can't imagine that you won't meet the requirements for registration.

shoshe Tue 25-Aug-09 20:27:15

Yep it is in Childcare, did think of doing something totally off the wall, but thought I better stick to what I know grin

Yep hopefully I will be covered.

Do you work for a set family, or do yu do ad hoc, sort of thing ?

nannynick Tue 25-Aug-09 20:31:13

Set family... much easier that way, means it's very clear that I am the employee, they are employer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now