Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Retainer fee for CM

(7 Posts)
jumpingjojo Fri 21-Aug-09 22:14:32

I have found a great childminder who has asked for a retainer fee. Thats fine but we want the space from mid November - about 12 weeks away. The fee is half the expected weekly fee. This seems quite alot of money if I paid it for the next 12 weeks. What would be a reasonable amount of time to pay the retainer fee for ?
Thanks

Katymac Fri 21-Aug-09 22:20:44

You don't have to pay the retainer

Of course the childminder could sell that space on Monday - then you won't have a space at all

So it's a gamble - how long do you think she will take to sell the space?

CarGirl Fri 21-Aug-09 22:22:54

there's nothing to stop you using that space full or part time sooner than mid November?

How old is your dc and when do you go back to work? Some dc need a lot of settling in - little and often works best.

Paying a retainer fee is completely normal btw

nbee84 Fri 21-Aug-09 22:27:53

The childminder is holding the space for you for 12 weeks and getting 50% of what that space costs. She could take on a child next week and get 100% of the money - so in a way she is out of pocket by 50%.

Katymac Fri 21-Aug-09 22:30:51

TBH - I charge the first months money as a deposit.

Then if I get a further enquiry I phone the parent & give them 24hrs to start paying for the space (in full) or I give the place to the new parent

jumpingjojo Sat 22-Aug-09 11:58:51

Thanks for that. It all makes sense now. She says she has been getting lots of enquiries, so am a bit nervous if I leave it too long I will lose the place. It's only one morning a week so she could find a much better earner I am sure. Ds is nearly one and will probably need a fair bit of settling in - in fact I'll probably need just as much as him as hardly ever leave him
Cheers

CarGirl Sat 22-Aug-09 20:56:30

I would start him there sooner - ask if she has any other vacant session as tbh it's easier to settle them going most days for a few hours rather than just once per week.

I would def discuss the settling in arrangements now - ask her what she thinks would be good to do, and what she is able to offer. A week is a long time to a 1 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now