Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

will have to let our brilliant nanny go (sob)

(8 Posts)
nouveaupauvre Thu 20-Aug-09 22:32:10

we are relocating and my job will be changing, so won't be able to keep our lovely lovely nanny. she knows it's coming (a few months away yet).
she has been utterly fabulous with ds and a rock for the whole family, so she will obviously get a glowing reference from us but have heard that it is not an easy employment market for nannies at the moment and would like some ideas on what else can i do to help her get a new job as quickly as possible?
will obviously ask around people i know but most of our friends use CMs or nurseries. has anyone been here before, and what did you do in similar circumstances? did you pay their advertising costs (i think it's free for nannies to register with agencies?) or anything else?

nannynick Fri 21-Aug-09 00:01:42

Write her a glowing reference and put your contact details on it - home phone, mobile, e-mail. Then once you move, let your ex-nanny know your new contact details so that the contact details on the reference can be updated. That way future employers are able to still get in touch with you to verify the reference.

It doesn't cost nannies to register with agencies. However agencies may want a new CRB check done, which does cost - so a end-of-contract bonus will probably come in handy.

crunchygranola Fri 21-Aug-09 08:28:50

Is she Ofsted registered? That would be v attractive to a new employer. You could pay for her to be registered if you really want to be nice to her...

AtheneNoctua Fri 21-Aug-09 09:00:53

How long has she worked for you? If you have to offer her redudancy make sure you work that into your calculations. I'm just thinking that you wouldn't want to stretch your budget to limit on a bonus and then realise you had overlooked the redundancy payment.

I think usual practise when a good nanny leaves is to write a good reference, and make a reasonable effort to help her find a new job. Things like putting the word out to your friends, on MN (as you have done), etc.

Gidleigh Fri 21-Aug-09 09:04:47

nouveau- where are you based. As my nanny had to return home so I am looking for a nanny. We are in W1 London

nouveaupauvre Sat 22-Aug-09 20:57:52

thanks all. she is already ofsted registered and had a new crb check about a year ago for that so presume wouldn't need a new one this soon? she's been with us less than two years so dont hink entitled to redundo but we will probably give her a finishing bonus.
gidleigh we are i south london, as is she - are you looking for someone right now? it will probably be closer to end of october that she'd be free.

nannynick Sat 22-Aug-09 21:08:16

Ofsted registration is renewed annually, so if your nannies registration is due for renewal whilst still working for you, you may want to help pay the cost of that. Renewal is currently £103 - the CRB check isn't redone.

Gidleigh Sun 23-Aug-09 15:06:44

timing is flexible although we are central w1 so your nanny may find the commute to far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now