Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I find childcare for one month only?

(13 Posts)
digitalgirl Wed 19-Aug-09 11:57:55

My mum is currently my main source of childcare for DS (nearly 12mo) - which has been a huge help with my freelance work.

She is going abroad for 1 month in October and I simply cannot afford not to accept freelance work if anything comes up during that time.

Should I be looking for a childminder between mindees? Or could I try and find someone willing to share their nanny temporarily?

Just don't know where to start.

midnightexpress Wed 19-Aug-09 12:02:25

Well, I would probably approach a nanny agency and discuss. We had a temp p/t nanny for about 6 weeks after DS2 was born as I had a CS, and we don't have family nearby and ds1 was only 14 months. They managed to find us someone at short notice.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 19-Aug-09 12:04:46

Where are you?

frAKKINPannikinAGRIPPA Wed 19-Aug-09 12:27:28

Echoing lifeinagoldfishbowl.

I'm based in Bucks and would be available for ad hoc nanny work for most of October. I'm qualified, 1st Aid, police checked this month, 5 years experience, excellent refs. But you're probably nowhere near me!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Aug-09 12:56:29

how much notice do you get with your freelance work?

a cm may not have space for simply a month - but would be much cheaper than a nanny

there are many temp nannys about either through agencys or through their own adverts on netmums, nj,gumtree etc

if you know of a family near by who they and their nanny would be happy to help out (paid of course) then that is prob your best route

whereabouts are you based? I am in London and would potentially have 2/3 days free a week for the month of October smile

digitalgirl Wed 19-Aug-09 16:16:50

thanks ME, will look at nanny agencies.

LIAGB - We're in north london

digitalgirl Wed 19-Aug-09 16:58:27

sorry, perils of leaving half answered posts open for hours and hours.

WWW where exactly in london are you?

blondes thinking about asking to share temporarily, wasn't sure what the etiquette was on that. Would obviously pay for the time and I imagine the nanny would want extra anyway.

Notice varies - usually a few days to a week. Bit rubbish that.

choosyfloosy Wed 19-Aug-09 17:00:49

Put the word out among everyone you know. A nanny working near you may be very happy to take on a share, particularly as it is not school holidays.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 20-Aug-09 08:30:45

i had dc1 school friend part of summer hols 2 years ago as the mum had childcare problems

my mb/db were more than happy for me to have friend, but had to make it quite clear to the other mum that they expected her to pay me something(i was still getting my normal pay from my family)

the other mum thought she could get FREE childcare as mb/db paid my wages - but my darling mb/db soon put her right!!! grin

but obv you arent like that smile

if you do know some nannys then sound them/their boss out

Thandeka Thu 20-Aug-09 08:54:33

Hi digitalgirl,
I'm a north london freelancer too and probably going to be hit by similar childcare problems (though mine will be longer than a month as I have no family nearby!)- first baby due in Feb. I have another freelancer friend who is going to start TTC in oct and we are hoping if she falls quickly we can do some shared childcare things (I take her dc for a day and vice versa) is anything like that an option?

But anyhow just wanted to wave at fellow freelancer and parent in same area.

Hope you find something.

alibubbles Thu 20-Aug-09 10:50:46

How far North London? I have a space in October waiting for a child to start in November

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Thu 20-Aug-09 13:04:41

I am a Herts nanny and do ad hoc work.

Do you know what hours you'll need?

I have over 17 years experience, CRB checked, first aid, excellent refs and am a non smoker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now