Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Complete novice, what sort of childcare do I want?

(15 Posts)
JackBauer Tue 18-Aug-09 19:58:05

I will (hopefully) be going back to work part time, either half days or 2-3 full days a week.
Dh works split shifts so is available before 12 or after 2 on random days, no pattern and only able to plan 2-4 weeks in advance.

I want someone to watch DD1 (3.6) and DD2(1.10) DD1 needs taking to and from school for a morning nursery session (she has been going for 5 months and has friends there, plus it is her 'proper' school so I want her to keep going there)
I need the care to be flexible so DH can pick up early if he needs to but will only be able to give hours on a friday for the next week.

What is best for me? Am thinking nanny share or childminder but price wise which is best.
Would love a nanny who could live out and also clean as otherwise I woudl want a cleaner but that's not going to happen is it?

shoshe Tue 18-Aug-09 20:10:57

Most Childminders would charge you a full day for both children, because although you may not need before 12 or after 2, or when elder DD is at Pre school, she will not be able to fill the space when you do not need it, so you would be in effect be taking two full time places for the 2/3 days you will be working.

If you just work mornings, she will probably charge you for 5 full mornings for both children, if you will need the space for DD1 during the holidays.

So maybe a nannyshare would be more flexible.

nannynick Tue 18-Aug-09 20:16:50

Could you not remove DH from the equation given the random nature of his hours? If you have fixed hours you require childcare I feel you will find it easier to find that childcare. In my view, few childcare providers are able to be fully flexible with hours as they need to be able to plan what they are doing each day plus also know how much they will be earning. In my view it isn't cost effective to care for a child who will be doing random hours - the childcare place is better being given to someone who can be more consistent.

How much money are you prepared to allocate per year to childcare costs? A live-out nanny could easily cost £360+ per week working a 3-day week. A childminder I suspect may be a little less (in some areas could be a lot less, as childminding rates vary quite a lot around the country). You would be taking up two under 5's places (see other discussions on here with regard to paying childminders whilst a child is at nursery/pre-school), so by having your DD1 attend her nursery session you may not save any money.

JackBauer Tue 18-Aug-09 20:33:09

That's what I was thinking nick, just seemed a bit unfair for it to weork around me when DH might be home and able to watch kids and yet getting all that lovely quiet time instead.
Hadn't thought of that Shoshe, but see your point as well.
Not really that bothered but she would need picking up and dropping off too.

What is a nanny share then? Another thread says that it is one nanny and 2 families kids, but would that mean my hosue would need to be clean better kept?

As far as I can tell a CM woudl be max of £30 a day not including sibling discount so much cheaper. I am in Wales, not london, if that makes a difference?

I will probably only be earning £250 a week max, can I use Tax credits for nannies though?

(sorry to bombard BTW)

shoshe Tue 18-Aug-09 20:47:18

Can you get Childcare vouchers through either/both of your salaries?

You can only get them for Ofsted Registered Childcare tho, not sure about CTC.

Try looking at here which will give you all available CM's and nurseries, which would give you an idea of price in your area.

nannynick Tue 18-Aug-09 20:55:48

Tax Credits can be used in England to pay an Ofsted Registered nanny. Not sure about Wales though, as the childcare registration system there is different. Will try to dig out some info - but am on a poor net connection at the moment, so may take some time (with luck someone else will find the info smile)

Nanny cost in Wales I don't expect to be a lot less than I put previously. Nanny rates do not vary as much from location to location (London is the exception where rates can be a lot higher).

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Tue 18-Aug-09 21:00:55

If your DH has free time at home without the kids then that could solve your lack of cleaner problem wink

JackBauer Tue 18-Aug-09 21:03:09

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers, Hahahahahaha

hahaha

ha

<ahem>

nbee84 Tue 18-Aug-09 21:12:31

I know you laughed at iwish but she's spot on really. After all, I bet if it was you that had child free time each week it would be spent catching up on household chores.

In fact, I would tell your dh this then maybe if he is not willing to do it he would be more likely to stump up for a cleaner a couple of hours a week. (btw - most live out nannies will only do child related household chores)

JackBauer Tue 18-Aug-09 21:18:50

Oh don't worry, he will be paying for the cleaner rather than do it himself. That is part of the deal of me being a SAHM, he pays me not to have to do the more boring choreshmm

shoshe Tue 18-Aug-09 21:28:40

I wonder if it might be worth looking for a nanny that maybe has her own baby and is only looking for partime work, that she could take her baby with her? She might be flexible to working the shifts you want.

nannynick Tue 18-Aug-09 21:40:58

CSSIW do not appear to register nannies, so you won't be able to use Childcare Element of WTC to help with the childcare cost.

blueshoes Tue 18-Aug-09 22:13:09

For such flexibility, I would recommend live-in care, such as an aupair. They would be great for doing the school run for dd1, wraparound care as well as light domestic duties and babysitting.

Do you have an extra room?

For dd2, I would use a childminder or a nursery for the days you are at work. Again, the aupair can do the childminder/nursery run which really frees up your/dh's time.

JackBauer Tue 18-Aug-09 22:27:32

THanks blueshoes but live in is not an option, we do have a spare bedroom but we have people staying in it a couple of times a month so it would cause havoc (we are 200 miles from all close friends and family so need spare room)
Otherwise it would be great. A live out au pair would be perfect!

blueshoes Tue 18-Aug-09 22:45:06

You can get live-out aupairs. But they are a small minority. Might be even trickier to find in Wales unless you are in a biggish city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now