Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DH at airport picking up Au Pair

(9 Posts)
DrEvil Tue 18-Aug-09 07:36:16

Our very first venture into having an AP, she has come from Australia so is probably exhausted but kids are manically excited!

I have everything crossed she's lovely and it all works out. We're planning a bimble around town if she's in the mood and I will be taking the boys to a toddler group so she can have a rest this afternoon.

Littledawley Tue 18-Aug-09 07:41:09

Good luck - we have debated an aupair so many times. Have never seen an agency that recruits from Oz - where are you? For some reason that appeals to me much more than having someone in the house with a language barrier. (that and the fact that I've yet to meet an Aussie I didn't like grin)

Weegle Tue 18-Aug-09 07:42:05

good luck!

She's going to be exhausted for a while given the longhaul plus nerves...

Hope she settles in quickly and you've got a good one! smile

Weegle Tue 18-Aug-09 07:44:22

Littledawley PMSL - nothing like a national stereotype! I used to think that and then I met an Aussie who is so FAR removed from the stereotype as you can imagine (NO sense of humour) and it completely threw me - I felt like shouting "but you're Australian, you can't have completely had a sense of humour bypass, can you? can you?" - it was very disconcerting!

Littledawley Tue 18-Aug-09 07:48:03

grin Weegle!! I also realise that most of my Aussie friends were hard drinking, party girls - not attributes you might be looking for in an au pair!!

DrEvil Tue 18-Aug-09 08:19:53

I found her on AP world and specifically wanted an English speaker as ds2 is under the Speach Therapist and is only 2.9yrs so I didn't want to completely confuse the little blighter!

She was was working as a nursery nurse in Oz so I've got high hopes, although DH has just phoned to say that they got all the way out to the car and put her bags in the boot to find that she'd left her hockey stick on the baggage carousel. He said she was very sweet and hadn't stopped talking though.

dreamteamgirl Tue 18-Aug-09 08:50:48

Hey drevil
Hockey sticks huh? You have gone for the sporty type then?

Hope it works out, keep us posted!

ConstantlyCooking Tue 18-Aug-09 11:13:44

Hope all goes well DrEvil.
Our first au pair arrives a week today!

DrEvil Tue 18-Aug-09 19:35:14

So, she's here, she seems very sweet and happily played Star Wars with the boys in the garden this afternoon. She is very interested in their routine and what they do and what they eat etc. and came to playgroup with us this afternoon rather than nap. Ds1 is very taken with her but ds2 is a bit more unsure but then he doesn't like anyone but me at the moment.

She does talk ALL the time and isn't exactly the intellectual type but is sweet and seems as if she'll be fairly easy to live with.

Let's just hope I'm not on here moaning next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now